Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Fan ?

Hi,

My heater fan has stopped working intermittently, it had been quite noisy so i figure the bearing are dry causing it to seize. It works sometimes so there is still hope, if I can get some oil on the bearings.

Have been searching the forum and there are lots of older posts about this (not saying they are not still relevant and are certainly useful) but wondered is there any recent experience.

Have had a look and can get the cover loose but the motor is obstructed by the air duct to the left vent... unfortunately my motor has no way to lube the bearings in place (which some motors have), has anybody tried to drill an access hole in the casing ??

Most posts say that its a dash out job, some suggest the duct obstructing the removal of the fan can be moved, and another post suggest the motor can be separated from the cover while in place allowing the mother to come out...

Just wondered is there any recent experience on this, I would like to try to avoid removing the dash, but if it must be then I will do it..

My car is RHD and with AC, can anyone give the part number of the correct fan, so I can source a replacement....

Appreciate any help.

Paul.

I haven't seen one without a little cover over the centre bearing, accessible with the glovebox removed.

Are you 100% sure there is no cover?
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
      I haven't seen one without a little cover over the centre bearing, accessible with the glovebox removed.

Are you 100% sure there is no cover?
      Hi,

Yes, I was hoping to find one but its not there...
      This is a link to an eBay listing for a fan which is identical (I understand the same fan was fitted to some VW passat models), but it looks exactly the same as this.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEATER-BLO...AAAOxyOMdS6R2H

Thanks
      P

Comment

You can remove the fan motor/housing without removing the dash. IIRC one of the retaining screws is particularly difficult to get to but once it's out you can maneuver the motor out.

Keeping both the front and rear fan motor bearings oiled is important as the motor slowing down/stopping is the major cause of failure of the thermal fuse adjacent to the speed control resistor pack resulting in the motor only working on max speed.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
          You can remove the fan motor/housing without removing the dash. IIRC one of the retaining screws is particularly difficult to get to but once it's out you can maneuver the motor out.

Keeping both the front and rear fan motor bearings oiled is important as the motor slowing down/stopping is the major cause of failure of the thermal fuse adjacent to the speed control resistor pack resulting in the motor only working on max speed.

John
          John,

Thanks for replying. I got the screws holding the motor cover removed (intact the top one was missing !) but I could only move the mother an inch or two before it hits the ducting.. How is it done ? Do I need to remove the duct ? Give me a clue ?

Thanks

PAUL

Comment

I'm 12,000 miles from my car at the moment, so until I get back in a week or so and put my head under the glovebox to remind myself how I did get it out, I can't remember exactly how I wiggled the damn motor out

Hopefully someone else will chip in before then, otherwise I'll have a go when I get back......

John

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
              I'm 12,000 miles from my car at the moment, so until I get back in a week or so and put my head under the glovebox to remind myself how I did get it out, I can't remember exactly how I wiggled the damn motor out

Hopefully someone else will chip in before then, otherwise I'll have a go when I get back......

John
              John,

i know the feeling, I am a long way from home too but not quite that far !!

Would appreciate your offer to take a look, there is probably a trick or two, it looked impossible to me without doing a lot of removal of ducting !!

Thanks

PAUL

Comment

Originally posted by RS2junkie View Post
                John,

i know the feeling, I am a long way from home too but not quite that far !!

Would appreciate your offer to take a look, there is probably a trick or two, it looked impossible to me without doing a lot of removal of ducting !!

Thanks

PAUL
                John,

Would you happen to know what the difference is between a LHD motor and a RHD one ? Do they rotate in a different direction ?? I would assume they are physically the same ? Is there a way to find the part number ?

Appreciate your help

Paul

Comment

I'm pretty certain the fan motors are the same, in fact the same fan motor is used across a whole range of contemporary Audi and VW cars. Its the fan motor impeller that dictates which way round the motor should rotate not the motor itself.

I'm sure someone one here has access to Vagcat or ETKA to check LHD & RHD part numbers.

John

Comment

Click HERE

Item 16.

Click on the item, then you have useage and cross refrrences...
                    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
                      Click HERE

Item 16.

Click on the item, then you have useage and cross refrrences...

Perfect, what a great site.. Thank you !

Comment

Working...
                      X