Downpipes from Longlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i will give Competition Fabrications a ring sometime next week, and
    try to take the Avant down there so he can see what sort of work it will entail.

i'll keep you posted
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a champion idea, I think you'll be impressed by his workmanship - if not the state of his workshop, which by all accounts can get a little cluttered! Fear not, though - his work area is organised chaos, from which things of great beauty will spring forth!!

__MDC__
      Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc
        there you go

with airbox in
        Attached Files
        sigpic_________
        Rob

Comment

With no airbox
          Attached Files
          sigpic_________
          Rob

Comment

Looks very neat and tidy. Do you have a sport cat on your avant or just 2 boxes as i was told by my local MOT place that my avant did not need the cats to pass its MOT and right now i only have 2 boxes, and the drone from the exhaust at 2500 to 3000 is really bugging me, when i drive past people they cant believe the sound is coming from the avant and i find myself trying to sit lower in my seat so no one can see me
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc
              Looks very neat and tidy. Do you have a sport cat on your avant or just 2 boxes as i was told by my local MOT place that my avant did not need the cats to pass its MOT and right now i only have 2 boxes, and the drone from the exhaust at 2500 to 3000 is really bugging me, when i drive past people they cant believe the sound is coming from the avant and i find myself trying to sit lower in my seat so no one can see me
              I have no cats just two boxes.

You shoud get seperate WG pipe done then you can say something about avant been loud
              sigpic_________
              Rob

Comment

An Avant! with a seperate wastegate pipe what must people think when they hear that thing go past at speed
                sigpic

Comment

Keeper the kitten: In a exhaust flow the faster stream is center one as the outer is slowing due to friction against stainless so going to 2 time 2.5" is going to increase a lot that friction area and also you will slow the fast center stream at the split.
                  You should also take in consideration that the hoter the faster the gaz flow is so by making 2 tube you will again incease the cooling area.

Those are the reason why turbo car always have single tube as we want to realese those gaz as fast as possible.
                  RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

maRS2, I agree with you there, the "laminar" gas flow would be slower near to the tube walls, but what is the point inside the pipe where it becomes a fast stream? If we had 2 x 3" pipes it would inevitably be more free flowing than 1 x 3" pipe, so I wonder if 2 x 2.5" would still be better flow than 1 x 3"?

But I see what you mean about the place where the pipe is splitting into 2 pipes, thanks for making me aware of that!

For hotter faster flowing gases, maybe lagging (insulating) the pipes would help?

I would be happy to know the answer if you can help me! I want to run with the exhaust system to the tail but not going over the rear suspension, I want the minimum restriction, so perhaps it is better to use 1 x 3" under the rear differential?

I am willing to listen to any advice on this issue!

__MDC__
                    Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Update!!

Hi Jon,

Any luck with this fabricator?

I've finally heard back from Longlife - spoke to Ian in Bristol, who wants to meet and have the car as a 'guinea pig'. We're going to plan it for probably 3rd week of March. Unfortunately, the only jig they can find is for 2.5" so it'll involve making a new one.

My only issue is my external wastegate pipe might make it a bit harder to use my car as a guinea pig, so if anyone else is in teh Bristol area with a complete stock Downpipe and a bit of moola, and woudn't mind putting a day to R&D for a supply of 3" S/S downpipes then please let me know!! Obviously, this would help keep the cost to a sensible level as well.

Marco, come out of retirement!!
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
                        Marco, come out of retirement!!
                        Or if someone has a Marco downpipe (off the car) you could use as a template
                        Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                        S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper of The Kitten
                          maRS2, I agree with you there, the "laminar" gas flow would be slower near to the tube walls, but what is the point inside the pipe where it becomes a fast stream? If we had 2 x 3" pipes it would inevitably be more free flowing than 1 x 3" pipe, so I wonder if 2 x 2.5" would still be better flow than 1 x 3"?

But I see what you mean about the place where the pipe is splitting into 2 pipes, thanks for making me aware of that!

For hotter faster flowing gases, maybe lagging (insulating) the pipes would help?

I would be happy to know the answer if you can help me! I want to run with the exhaust system to the tail but not going over the rear suspension, I want the minimum restriction, so perhaps it is better to use 1 x 3" under the rear differential?

I am willing to listen to any advice on this issue!

__MDC__
                          Yes but with two pipes not matter the size you need a y pipe section which slows gas down as it causes turbulence at the split

It's no coincidence that all single 3" exhausts systems outperform the stock twin 2.5 section.

Also bigger is not always better with exhausts, the larger the diameter the exhaust the cooler the gas will become reducing flow speed. It's a trade of which size you should run vs bhp output.

Comment

Originally posted by rotoryboy
                            Or if someone has a Marco downpipe (off the car) you could use as a template
                            Heh probably all on the car now (also weren't the Marco pipes 70mm which is 2.75" the same as an RS2 downpipe?)

Can't they use a standard downpipe as a template?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                              Heh probably all on the car now (also weren't the Marco pipes 70mm which is 2.75" the same as an RS2 downpipe?)

Can't they use a standard downpipe as a template?
                              Yeah, they use a regular downpipe, make a jig using it as a template (except for a 3" pipe) and then use that for any future fabrications. That's why Im taking the car down for the day; but I think it would be helpful to have someone else there as they need to then test the jig and make a 2nd 3" downpipe. Would make sense for 2 of us to go down there, and make it affordable too.

Cheers
                              Ross
                              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
                                Yeah, they use a regular downpipe, make a jig using it as a template (except for a 3" pipe) and then use that for any future fabrications. That's why Im taking the car down for the day; but I think it would be helpful to have someone else there as they need to then test the jig and make a 2nd 3" downpipe. Would make sense for 2 of us to go down there, and make it affordable too.

Cheers
                                Ross
                                Should have asked Sal for a downpipe last week mate!

Comment

Working...
                                X