Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaskets

I'm nearing the time when I'm going to roll my sleaves us and get my hands dirty.
    I plan to replace my inlet manifold this weekend as a test of my aptitude before replacing my exhaust manifold and turbo.
    I have the manifold and its associated gasket, but I seem to remember watching A Car Is Reborn (E-Type) and they put some sort of stuff on their gaskets before fitting them. Do I have to do this or do they just go on dry?

I've never done this before so I'm a bit concerned that I'll kill my car if it all goes pear shaped.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
    ex '93 Avant owner

You shouldn't need any form of instant gasket or gooey stuff when installing your new manifold. The inlet gasket and throttle body gasket are both installed dry. You may need some new washers for the fuel pipe connections. The 3B has a few of them on the fuel rail fittings, however, your ABY may be different.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

GULP!

The inlet gasket and throttle body gasket are both installed dry
      I've only got the large inlet gasket. Do I really need to replace the throttle body one?
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

If you are lucky the gasket will come cleanly away and can be re-used if OK. If it is stuck between both items do not force it or one half may stick to one part and the other to the other it will tear and then it is scrap.

Use a 'Stanley@ knife with a new blade and very carefully cut/slide it between the gasket and the inlet manifold. Work your way round the gasket and then you should be lucky.

When I fit gaskets I use Loctite spray-a-gasket, it is £5 a can. You spray it on the gasket and the part just like spray paint. It is wonderful and far better than tubes of stuff. It is available from motor factors.

Buy a can it goes a long way.
        David.

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
          GULP!

I've only got the large inlet gasket. Do I really need to replace the throttle body one?
          I would replace it. It is a cheap piece of mind. Paper gaskets are not made to be reusable and they do crush a bit when used.
          On a Sunday afternoon and all parts stores are closed and you don't have a choice, maybe. But if you are planning it anyway it seems to make sense to spring for a new gasket.

Best of luck!
          Dave K.
          USA
          1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
          2001 S4

Comment

Morning Desmo,

You are right,

though, most of the gaskets I usually need are not easily available and I make my own, Roper Whitney hand punch, Qmax hole cutters etc. I Like to be equiped for all eventualities, then again it could just be that tool fetish that I have....

David

Comment

most of the metal gaskets aren't reusable either
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                Morning Desmo,

You are right,

though, most of the gaskets I usually need are not easily available and I make my own, Roper Whitney hand punch, Qmax hole cutters etc. I Like to be equiped for all eventualities, then again it could just be that tool fetish that I have....

David
                ah, the tool fetish. I know it all too well.
                Your suggestions are great for removing gaskets that you would like to save. And it is true that if carefully removed it will likely be okay. I just tend to lean toward the safe side. Another factor is how easy it is to get to.
                Dave K.
                USA
                2001 S4

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                  most of the metal gaskets aren't reusable either
                  Yes I guess very few gaskets are reusable come to think of it!

DOH!
                  Dave K.
                  USA
                  2001 S4

Comment

IIRC that throttle body gasket is only 60p ish anyway

Comment

You try finding gaskets for a 1930's Morris sidevalve engine even during the week!

Audi Stealers seem reasonable in comparison.

D.

Comment

Working...
                      X