Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless steel/mild steel intake manifold ( intake runners)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel/mild steel intake manifold ( intake runners)

Hey folks, did someone made a stainless steel intake manifold or mild steel? I want to build my own intake manifold from SS but i cant find where to buy intake runners, or how you solve this? I think, that is the most tricky part. Any ideas or thoughts?

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by Tom_; 19 April 2018, 19:29.
    Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

You will need a flange to the cylinderhead anyway. CNC-machined or self-fabricated or cut off stock manifold.

Comment

My friend has an mild steel manifold painted black. Works as good as any other material, only easier to fabricate. Intake runners can be done with and machined mold and bench press, from 50mm steel pipe.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Alexander, where do you find nice pics like those?

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Thanks Tom thats what i want to know

Shuriken : Nice piece of work

Comment

Pictures from internet as usual. I have been collecting them for many years. Always save any images which may help to assemble anything. Sometimes it's useful to look at some photos right in the garage

I have seen some 4-cylinder Ladas intake manifolds made of fire extinguishers, and they work.

Comment

I know what u mean...i have about 1GB pictures from internet about 5cylinder and Coupe/S2/RS2 really good inspiration sometime

Comment

Or i have some 3B intake manifold. So option one is using this one, but its oriented on bad side or option 2 is to modify this manifold like this or made a custom one from the steel

http://homepage.eircom.net/~anu/nial...e%20small2.JPG
                Last edited by Tom_; 21 April 2018, 09:37. Reason: missing some points

Comment

Quite expencive manifolds destroyed in those pics, as same outcome would be with ABY/3B manifolds.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Maybe better to build my own than destroy some 3B manifold...Only problem with modifyin my 3B, is that i havent machine to weld aluminium, only steel/titan/stainless

Comment

I can think of 2 options:

The cheap one: get an AAN intake manifold and relocate the throttle, similar like in this photo

The Expensive: wagner or full custom

Team RS
                      Grundey Intake

Comment

This AAN intake with 'Turbo' letters looks great! They are from 10VT manifold?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ View Post
                          Maybe better to build my own than destroy some 3B manifold...Only problem with modifyin my 3B, is that i havent machine to weld aluminium, only steel/titan/stainless
                          I have similar problem so far and this is the piece of aluminium welding when we were having access to aluminium welding for short period.

Initial idea was quite similar: I would fabricate flange for 3B/AAN throttle body out of steel myself later. But now looking at this I plan to invest some time and money and to remake it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
                            If it would be fabricated nicely then it should be quite a rocker from the appearance side!
                            1990 2.2 20VT Audi Coupe Quattro
                            *Hx35/k26, MaxxECU, Wagner EM/IC *RS2 Recaro *4pot-Brembo *3" turboback *Treser *Koni/H&R
                            1990 Audi 200 20v Avant 2.2 20VT *7 Seater *Full electric gizmos

Comment

Looks good, from what is that manifold? Looks kinda familiar, but i cant remember

Comment

Working...
                              X