Is it a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a good idea?

Got to get new zorst soon,the local rs2 chap does custom made for a living.
    Ive asked for a system with no centre silencer,gunna keep the cats (94 plate) and have a pipe(maybe 2) going straight to the back box.

Will it be too loud?
    Drivability?
    £340--ok?

Andy

Its a good price if its good quality stainless, BUT -

- it might be too loud / boomy without the centre box. Which is great for the B-roads and round town (safer so people can actually hear you) but the boominess on motorway cruise speed might drive you a bit bonkers.

- the 'Y' pipe arrangement for the CATs is quite restrictive and cumbersome. It would cost more to remove / improve the Y pipe and go for sports CAT(s) but like I say - it gets expensive for this approach.

- see if you can get the thing made to accomodate an optional centre box in the event that its too loud without it - get the joints in the right place so its easy to add in an off-the-shelf centre box later if required
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hi Andy

When i bought my avant it had a 3" straight thru stainless exhaust on it from the turbo back. No cats, no centre box just a rear silencer.

I find this way too loud for me, to the extent where i struggle to hear the stero on the motorway and also it gets difficult to have a conversation with any passengers.

I am looking at getting a centre box put in to quieten it down a bit.

HTH

Stu

Comment

Andy this will definately be too loud mate...trust me Loud doesnt always mean faster
        S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Andy,

I'll be interested to see what your system is like once fitted as that is a very good price. I've got a leaflet from the guy you are talking about and would prefer to use someone who has knowledge of the S2 and who can fabricate something really nicely.

Keep me updated.

Thanks

Dan

P.s. Like most people have said, booting it around town and on country roads is great when it's loud and boomy but I can vouch that on any journey longer than 10mins on the motorway you'll be cursing the decision.

Comment

I have 3" with 2 boxes and it is still loud, I have gotten use to it now but the neighbours aren't ever happy when I roll in early in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
              I have 3" with 2 boxes and it is still loud
              Doh, not what i wanted to hear.........excuse the pun.

Comment

Working...
              X