Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got a 3" downpipe from Longlife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got a 3" downpipe from Longlife?

Had my new exhaust fitted by Longlife last Friday. The job took all day and so when I picked it up it was all a bit of a rush to pay and get on the road. The boss made some remark about the front of the downpipe being cast although I didn't really pick up on what he was saying.

Turns out my 3" turbo back system isn't turbo back at all. They've kept the standard S2 downpipe and fitted the 3" pipe to it just about where the pipe turns upwards towards the turbo. Obviously I'm not very happy with this as I was quoted for 3" turbo back and have paid them for 3" turbo back. I had even sent them an email asking them to confirm that the quote was for turbo back and not just cat back.

Anyway. Just incase I get told it's too hard to do a 3" downpipe has anybody had one made by any of the Longlife branches so that I can point out that it can and has been done.

I'm getting one of Coreys hybrid 2871 turbos fitted in a months time. Do I really need a 3" downpipe for this turbo or will 2.75 or a standard S2 downpipe be just as good. I'm going for 350hp as I don't want to replace the rods. How much power will I lose by keeping the standard downpipe? Just asking incase it's better to get some money back rather than get the bigger downpipe that I'd asked for.

Cheers

David
    1994 16v Coupe - Sold on and sadly missed
    1994 S2 Avant - Warmed up a bit
    1995 A6 Avant - Dag Dag Delight

sounds like you have been a bit shafted there....if you're having problems I'd call the Cardiff branch and ask to speak to Mal who i think owns Longlife. He's a good guy and should set you straight if what you paid for was turbo back
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Just out of interest what price did you have to pay and what end pipes did you get?

Comment

Berkeley branch.

Speak to them, i believe they have done s2 turbo back systems.

Between Gloucester and Brisol.
        Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
          Just out of interest what price did you have to pay and what end pipes did you get?
          £699 which I thought was a good price until I realised what they had done.

I wanted a pretty standard look so I got twin slash cut 2" diameter pipes.

I went for a mild sport system as I thought I wouldn't mind a bit more volume. Whilst it's OK once the turbo starts spinning and isn't that noisy outside the car I'm finding that inside the car at idle and especially low revs I'm getting a very loud and unpleasant boomy drone. This is something else I'll be taking up with them when I ring them about the downpipe.

Cheers

David
          1994 16v Coupe - Sold on and sadly missed
          1994 S2 Avant - Warmed up a bit
          1995 A6 Avant - Dag Dag Delight

Comment

Ok well keep us updated about what they say. Seems a few people that have put sports exhausts (various makes) on there s2's are getting a droning sound at certain revs.

Comment

I've heard good & bad things about these longlife systems, i'd ask for a few £££ back if they cannot build the whole thing as this is obviously what you wanted.

For reference - one of the cats started rattling on my V6 so i got MIJ in Walsall to build me a one off, getting rid of the standard twin cats that run on either side and bringing it down to one central one. It was a right fiddle getting it right coz of the quattro system and they got it just perfect. http://www.mijperformance.com/

I forget the guy I delt with as it was couple of years ago, but worth a call just to find out what they say. They quote for Cat Back but build bespoke on request..

Its a crap pic i know, they took it on ramp - shame i havent got underneath..
              Attached Files

Comment

My longlife system is 3" turbo back and starts at the turbo. Berkeley did it, though at first they suggested it was too difficult

Comment

Mine was done at Berkley as well, 3" downpipe, it gets the job done although the wastegate-DP section was obviously rushed, and very poor workmanship. The rest of the job was good.

I suspect they didn't want to take the DP and re-do the whole thing as it really is a pain in the butt, probably as much of a job as the rest of the system! If it's not what you ordered take it back - rest assured a 3" DP IS possible, and Longlife have done them before.

As for the drone, I think any 3" system is gonna have it I'm afraid. Haven't heard one that doens't... interesting though, I've heard 2.75" systems that are as quiet as stock!

Cheers
                  Ross
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

I reckon they should knock at least £100 of price quoted if they missed the downpipe!
                    If it was me i would take it back and tell them to do it right & now! Remember your the customer. If they get arsey, tell them they remove the lot, put your old system back on and hand your money back.
                    I highly recommend A.A.S. on Bells Close industrial estate in Newcastle, worth the drive from Stockton. They manufactured my system turbo back exactly to my specification and at a very reasonable price
                    I'll dig the number out if you like.

Goodluck,
                    Ben

Comment

I had a cat back mid-sport exhaust from Longlife in Berkley too. They were nice and cheap, £450 for a 2.8 V6 Quattro, but they took all day and bodged the fitting. The fitters jammed a handfull of rubber '8's between the silencer and the bodywork to stop it knocking: These melted and the exhaust started knocking after a week. I bent a couple of the mounting brackets and that sorted the knocking out! The unit is 6 months old now and the welds are starting to go rusty.

Since talking to other ex-longlife customers the general consensus seems to be that they are cheap but suffer from poor workmanship. If they offer you money back or the turbo to cat pipe you're missing; I'd take the money and get the pipe from someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by lune View Post
                        I reckon they should knock at least £100 of price quoted if they missed the downpipe!
                        If it was me i would take it back and tell them to do it right & now! Remember your the customer. If they get arsey, tell them they remove the lot, put your old system back on and hand your money back.
                        I highly recommend A.A.S. on Bells Close industrial estate in Newcastle, worth the drive from Stockton. They manufactured my system turbo back exactly to my specification and at a very reasonable price
                        I'll dig the number out if you like.

Goodluck,
                        Ben
                        A A S
                        Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                        England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
                          For reference - one of the cats started rattling on my V6 so i got MIJ in Walsall to build me a one off, getting rid of the standard twin cats that run on either side and bringing it down to one central one. It was a right fiddle getting it right coz of the quattro system and they got it just perfect. http://www.mijperformance.com/..
                          Got an email quote back for a turbo back system of £850 ish quid. IIRC the 034 one is not that much more than that. Plus the bit that was worrying me was they said I would be in and out within 2-3hrs for a full system, what they got challenge anneka on the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                            Got an email quote back for a turbo back system of £850 ish quid. IIRC the 034 one is not that much more than that. Plus the bit that was worrying me was they said I would be in and out within 2-3hrs for a full system, what they got challenge anneka on the team?
                            £850.00?! Thats seems expensive, the email quote i had was more than what i paid, i just knocked em down some over the phone.

I was in about lunch time and left about 6.00pm, there is a team of about 4 guys on it mind.

They've moved to their smart new premises since they did mine, perhaps they've upped the prices to pay for it. Quality job...but prob not the cheapest...

Comment

Did you speak to Mal?? or the branch about what they are going to do?
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X