MAF or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF or something else?

I got by dirty pikey paws on an H reg 20v coupe (just the fwd) with a wee issue to sort. it drives well but uses a lot of juice. doesn't have the oomph it should do. and sometimes cuts out when idling. blink code says air flow meter. previous owner bought a 2nd hand maf but it didn't fix the issue. I'm planning on pulling it off and soaking it in isopropyl (did i spell that right? hmm) but given the severity of the issue i'm thinking it's something else. So.. what should I be checking for? Splits in the big rubber section that goes from maf to throttle body i suppose.. not sure what else. any suggestions gents?
    (this isn't an opportunity to encourage me to break it so you can get your mitts on the parts. )
    cheers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

i replaced the llamda on mine not long ago...made a BIG differance!! also any tears in the pipes will make it run baddly, may even pull a code if the ecu thinks the maf is regestering wrong?......if thats even how the codes work.

Ant
    91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
    KW V2s and other goodies
    now gone
    03' BMW 330CI - Sold
    08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
    57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

cheers ant. you reckon a duff lambda might trick the ecu into think it's the maf then? I know changing the lambda can make a huge difference. did that on my 16v and was such an improvement.
      cheers
      1990 CQ20v

Comment

I have a can of carb cleaner. maybe I should be shooting some of that through the maf and isv, then spray a bit into the air intake while it's ticking over?
        1990 CQ20v

Comment

vag.com first Neol see what codes are coming out ..a if it is Lambda it will show up. If you want to clean MAF best soaking it rather than spray ...Carb cleaner will be good for the ISV..have you read through this website? www.20v.org
          93 S2 Avant Parting
          91 URQ RR
          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

cheers Steve. aye I used my blink code reader instead of VAGCOM. only code is 2232 - "Air Mass Sensor" as 20v.org has it. If that's the only code and the previous ownder tried a replacement i'm reckoning
            A) the replacement MAF was crap too
            or
            B) it's something very closely related to the MAF. But what? I'll start taking it apart tonight and soak the MAF as a first step. It must be something else though for 2 MAFs to produce the same result. even if the 2nd one wasn't great i would have thought it would run slightly better (or worse) than the 1st. Ho hum. The life of an audi collecting pikey eh? :-)
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Maybe...

the wiring back to the ecu?
              Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

I've been thinking about that and praying it's not the case. Do you know how to do a continuity test type thing with a multimeter? Is this a job for Mr Nugent, purveyor of homefries and generally bloke that has a clue what he's doing with electrical gubbins?
                1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
                  cheers ant. you reckon a duff lambda might trick the ecu into think it's the maf then? I know changing the lambda can make a huge difference. did that on my 16v and was such an improvement.
                  cheers
                  i dont know if the lambda would pull a maf fault, i just remember seeing somewhere that air leaks can. but that could be total rubbish lol.
                  in my opinion if your getting a faulty maf code swap it out for a known working one....if you can find someone nearby? or just try bying another second hand one? can be had for very little money for the 7a.
                  could one of the fault code gurus tell us if a dirty maf gives a fault code? would have thought only a broken maf would get a code as i said tho i rly dont know too much about them. lambda cirtainly isnt a bad choise in any case, good luck with it all!!

Ant
                  KW V2s and other goodies
                  now gone
                  03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

haha. cheers ant. all thoughts welcome, even if it's just a bit of thinking out loud. i'm also thinking a dirty maf might not produce a fault code. I'll need to get my hands on another cos it's possible the previous owner got a stinker as a replacement. Wish I knew how to use my multimeter properly to test the wiring.

i'm off to find a maf.............

cheers
                    1990 CQ20v

Comment

wiring

As per Carl, if a replacement maf had no effect get a multimeter and check wiring back to ecu! Lambda fault does not always show a code either, though high fuel consumption usually points to this, could have more than one issue here.
                      1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                      2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                      2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

have you any idea how I do that mate? checking the wiring I mean? I don't really know what readings i'm looking for.

Good point about the lambda sensor by the way. Odds are it's black as a piece of coal at the tip.
                        1990 CQ20v

Comment

PM me...

a number i can contact you on...tonite's best as i will have the Bentley manual in front of me.
                          Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

are wiring issues a normal fault to have on these cars? i know they are on mine as half of them are melted! pitty you aren't in a more sociable location as i'm sure someone would have plenty of parts to swap/check

Ant
                            KW V2s and other goodies
                            now gone
                            03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

sociable location depends what you consider sociable. deep fried pizza and a bottle of buckfast would be the social norm round my way but sadly yes, not so many wizened old audi bods.
                              Funny that I currently have 6 coupes but not another 7A to break bits off. 2.0 16v or 2.3 10v i'd be laughing.
                              1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                              X