Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stainless steel exhaust tip..not so stainless..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless steel exhaust tip..not so stainless..

it turns out that my exhaust tips both have caught up something and appearance of rust deposits have turned up.What would be an easy way to rectify this?
    I already sanded off most of it,but i guess it will come up again soon.

I was thinking of spray painting the tips,but i dont really like the silver paint that you can get at halfords.My next option would be a stealthy look of black spray,or even glossy black.
    What other options are there?(cheap ones!! not getting new tips fitted!!)

Welcome to England

Sounds like you should try some metal polish to remove the spots. All depends on what SS the pipes are made from as to whether they rust or not.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

where do i get that?
      supposedly the whole exhaust is polished stainless steel,but if something gets stuck on the tips,or material off the welding are not cleared properly,this happens... Grrr

Comment

it also depends on the grade of stainless used, i know powerflow use a low quality one and i've seen a couple on them with rust on them, not sure of which grades are used. where was your eshaust from?? you could try some fine grade wet and dry, if its only light rust that should get it off, then give it a bit of a polish to get the shine back.....

Ant
        91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
        KW V2s and other goodies
        now gone
        03' BMW 330CI - Sold
        08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
        57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

well my exhaust was done in Greece so i dont know what type of stainless they use.I found and placed an order for a polishing kit as well as some kind of cream for metal polishing.i hope it will do the job!
          thanks

Comment

Working...
          X