catalysts question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalysts question

When i replaced the oem catalysts,i requested 2 200cci cats from BN pipes.Im thinking...is it possible to change the system from 2 to one by only using one of them with the correct tubing of course,or will i have to get a new cat done as it will fail the emissions test?

thanks
    vasilis

Won't it be quite restrictive with just one CAT? I mean in terms of power...

Or do you mean keep the second system as a bypass?

Comment

well i dont know,most people are using only 1 cat instead of 2 for less restriction.When you get only 1 cat,does that mean that it is manufactured in a different way to be wider??
      I was thinking of this as part of my lower downpipe which is the original part actually that connects to the 2 cats,has begun deteriorating so in case it develops a hole,i was thinking of getting rid of one cat,stay with one and probably have less backpressure

at least least backpressure is the idea..

Comment

Cat technology has moved on alot in 12 yrs so i guess 1 cat would be ok
        im going to use 1 100 cell sports cat ,
        sigpic

Comment

I was told on a 3b that you could easily run a 100cell and it should pass the basic emissions check. I am planning on replacing the restrictive Y section off the bottom of the downpipe out to 2 cats to just a straight pipe with one inline 100cell cat.

HTH
          David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

it is most likely that 1 cat can do the job.what i have heard though is that they use more chemical material when you use 1 cat in order to pass emmisions.This is why im wondering if my 2 cats can be cut to 1 or not.

Of course if that would be able to happen i would have to have the car modified to be connected to a larger tube as it's tubing is down to 60mm since there are 2 of them.The cat itself is of course larger,about 76 or 80mm in diameter.i dont know what can be done,i only think that it would be a pity to throw them away since they are practically new.Unless i could resell them again.

Comment

I run the 250 cell cat from 034 motorsport and past the MOT without any problems. It is specified up to 700 HP or something

Comment

used to be the case that Audi would buy them back (to recover the platinum I guess ) and at one point they paid good money i heard - I guess that activity has long since stopped
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

well back home i do have the original cats as well as the catback system.Cats seem OK only done 120K kms and greek MOT requires you to replace them after those Kms.
                  I also wrote to BN pipes about this and if it can be done.If i can get away with 1 200cpi cat and 76mmdownpipe all the way to the cat that would be nice.Then i can just see if i can make all the system 76mm rather than 70mm catback that i have.(at least im told that the silencers are 76mm internally so i will be keeping them

Comment

Working...
                  X