Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone removed a silencer from their Milltek ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone removed a silencer from their Milltek ?

I'm thinking of getting someone to cut out the 'middle' backbox just before the rear axle on my Milltek and replacing it with a straight through pipe

Just wondering if anyone has done this or anyone have a similar system and know how much louder it will be ?

Cheers n
    '95 ABY Avant - Sold
    '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Dest has and yes it makes it louder, your a nutter for doing it! no track days for you

Comment

I was thinking about it but as Jamo says, track day noise regs pretty much require a 2 box system.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Matt, you've heard my system, but thats with a Magnaflow back box and 3" down pipe too. I think with standard DP and 2.5" Milltek & backbox it wont be as loud as you think chap. I took the centre box out of my MIJ system on the V6 and tbh didnt really make that much of a difference.

Comment

my stainless is only a one box setup and on a 2x2.5 diameter is not drastically noiser than oem IMO
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

It makes a hell of a difference though with 3" system to the noise.

Dest had a smaller downpipe and his was quite a bit louder than my car which has a larger downpipe and twin box.

Comment

I'll tell you exactly what noise levels you get.

No cats + standard Avant Milltek is 87db - as read on my own Noise level meter and confirmed by the scrutineer.

No cats + single rear box Milltek is 100db (centre box bypass) - as read on my own NLM and confirmed by two scrutineers. One at 100db and the other chap read it at 101db.

Bypass pipe is a good idea if you can make the noise level at your track day

cheers
              Raymond
              1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
              1987 CQ85RS
              1994 S2 Avant- Gone
              1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
              Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
              Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

oh... and that's with my own 3" DP on V band clamps
                Attached Files
                1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                1987 CQ85RS
                1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Yep, mine is damn loud!

Original downpipe to 3" straight through with no cats or centre box, then a Milltek rear box.
                  I know mine would be too loud/annoying if it was an everyday car, but as its not I dont mind

Comment

Dest, Give us an video/sound recordning of the loudness!

I have thought of dropping one box myself for a time, but Im not sure if it makes trackdays a no go
                    Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

I suppose my latest 109db Rally Reps banned everywhere then....

As an Exponential growth Curve it's pretty painful....
                      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

I have a custom exhaust stright through from the cat back to one back box, it is 2.75". It isn't loud but i do have my cats in. Has a nice burble but has a even nicer sound when given a boot load.Sounds a bit like a RS4 B5.
                        Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Removing the cats made a very noticable difference on mine

Comment

Sorry for going a bit off topic here but i recently picked up a 3" milltek exhaust system (no cats) but no down pipe and no or flexi pipe. I was looking to get one built with V clamps just beside the turbo, so if needed i could take the exhaust off in minutes, but the build could cost in excess of £400-£500
                            has anybody on ever bought the 034 motorsport 3" downpipe this one http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=137 was it worth it?

Comment

from what I remember of my college days, every 3dB is double the volume, i.e. 100dB is double the volume of 97dB.
                              I took a car to the track with a 106dB @45 degs @ 0.5m 3/4 max revs and they wouldn't let me on until I'd 'quietened it' so Ian's 109dB is 'kin lowwwwdddddd
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X