Custom Made Sports CAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Made Sports CAT

In my search for an exhaust I have been looking into sports CATS. I've been talking to Blackthorn Autocatalysts and they can supply the following:

200 cell
    Pt:Rh loading at 5:1 (apparently this is OE standard)
    130mm diameter
    130mm long substrate
    290mm total length with two cones welded on (3" exits)

Apparently this is the same size and cell count as used on the Prodrive Subarus that run at 300bhp and upwards. Blackthorn's info claims that a 200 cell 130mm dia cat is good for up to 375 hp on a turbo engine.

Total cost for the substrate and 2 cones inc VAT is £254.

Does this sound like a good deal?
    Anyone know if this CAT will be good enough to pass the MOT emissions test

If I use this I should be able to get a full 3" ss turbo back system with the CAT all fitted for about £800

Any comments or words of wisdom from anyone
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Dr H: Offer me 300$ and I will sell you one of my Sport Cats
    Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper
      Dr H: Offer me 300$ and I will sell you one of my Sport Cats
      What are the dimensions and how many cells?

Cheers

Comment

Leigh - how do the external dimensions stack up to stock items on the ABY ?

I'd be very interested if ONE of these sports CATs can do the job with a custom SS exhaust (70mm cones for me) as long the dimensions aren't gonna cause grounding problems.

PS - My choice on 70mm versus 3" is to make for a little more clearance of the pipework from the rear suspension - t'will be tight back there.

Cheers,

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I have also investigated the Blackthorn catalyst route and they will discount 10% for an order of 10 of more. Not a great saving, but better than nothing. It was the same 200cell unit + cones.

I'm toying with the idea of building my own system from 3" stainless and said Blackthorn CAT. Materials would be about £360 total and I've got the TIG welder... but it's getting the time ! I'd need to be reported missing for a week !

I'd still be interested in getting the materials though... cos I can't afford the 800 notes
          1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
          1987 CQ85RS
          1994 S2 Avant- Gone
          1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
          Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
          Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
            Leigh - how do the external dimensions stack up to stock items on the ABY ?

I'd be very interested if ONE of these sports CATs can do the job with a custom SS exhaust (70mm cones for me) as long the dimensions aren't gonna cause grounding problems.

PS - My choice on 70mm versus 3" is to make for a little more clearance of the pipework from the rear suspension - t'will be tight back there.

Cheers,

Paul
            Paul

Dimensions are almost identical (v slightly less) to Marcos cat - he posted these months back somewhere on here.

I did suggest 70mm but Tubetorque said they would rather do 76 as 70mm was a '******* size' Balckthorn can supply 70mm cones though.

I'm taking the car to TT for them to have a look at some point, I'll let you know what they say. Is it as tight at the back for an avant as I know the layout is different than the coupe?

Comment

My 3in Milltek catback runs UNDER the rear axle with absolutely no clearance issues. I've been razzing over country lanes and it doesn't hit the deck. Avant 1, Coupe 0!
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                My 3in Milltek catback runs UNDER the rear axle with absolutely no clearance issues. I've been razzing over country lanes and it doesn't hit the deck. Avant 1, Coupe 0!
                Yep just looked at my exhuast and the far superior avant has the pipe running under the axle - how sensible

Comment

Photos at http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=2

It's 2,5" - 2,5" but the main part is larger

It's WRC Rally and Rally Cross cat. HJS Motorsport. The one that Dahlback sells for 600 EUR each.

I can't find the paper where the specs are so using the meter and my precise eye :

lenght: 28cm
                  in,out diametr 5,7cm
                  main body diametr around 11cm.
                  Yeah 200cells.

Quite heavy. For a 3" just cut some adges.

Have 2 of them.
                  Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Working...
                  X