Removing 3B airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing 3B airbox?

Can anyone provide me with a BTDT for removing the entire 3B airbox? Where are all the bolts hidden?! I've had a look, but can't seem to get the thing out?

I have acquired a rather large cone and want to see what it's like noise-wise, and performance-wise, in time for the Bedford track day next week...

Thank you forum!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

I have had mine off a couple of times. It is quite easy IIRC.

Disconnect the incoming air and outgoing air. Remove the upper half of the airbox and remove the filter. This makes it easier to maneuver out the bottom half. This is held in place by a couple of barbed plastic bits which are stuck into rubber grommets in the wheel housing. It was a while since I did this last but it really isn't hard - like 5 - 10 minute job.

Comment

You don't have to split the box first, remove the heat shield which is attached to the box first, and the "intake tract?". Then you should be able wiggle it out.
      Leif-Helge
      -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
      -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

Comment

as dkw dude says, i found it easier to leave it as 1 piece, remove heatshield and the bolt which holds it in. then sort of 'wiggle' it out, hard to explain without actually being there, its the fixing lug which catches on everything

martin

Comment

You will be able to work on that side of the engine considerably easier with that not there
          Rob W
          04 Audi S4 Avant
          55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
          92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
          1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

I have ditched mine and fitted an aby airbox, much easier to remove as the clips are real easy to get at. its internal area is a bit bigger also.

martin

Comment

cool, thanks guys, will have a looksie!

Comment

Slightly off the thread, but would some of the hoses need to be changed to ABY ones, or is it a straight swap? What about MAF?
                Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Well, my original maf to turbo hose had been rubbing on that really stupidly positioned piece of plastic trim which holds the intake pipe for the airbox, and had a huge hole in it.
                  had a spare aby hose which got given when we got the replacement engine for the 100, so decided to convert to the aby setup.
                  mihnea sugested it too.
                  d/v and wgfv are in a much more accessable position
                  the breather pipe position is slightly different but is easily modified.
                  maf sits in the same place.

martin

Comment

Cool, cheers martin. Minhea mentioned it to me aswell, but wondered what itentailed....
                    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

I posted this in the "panel vs cone" thread too, but here's the result - it was a really school-boy easy job in the end!

Lots of room around the bulkhead now, and no dead wasps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X