Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the IM - easy until.........fook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the IM - easy until.........fook!

Took the IM off today to get it cleaned up, everything going well until I was prizing off the pipe that seems to go the the FRP (if I'm right) anf this happened!

Any ideas. Drill it out and have a new one threaded or pressed or brazed in? Any one know where I can get some tubing like this?

I knew it was all going too well
    Attached Files
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Ouch! what a bummer

I should think the brass vac pipes are pressed in. Unfortunately, I doubt very much that you can buy them individually. It wouldn't be too hard to get something machined up to replace it. You could bond the replacement in with epoxy or thread it into the alloy manifold.

Originally posted by Dr H
    Took the IM off today to get it cleaned up, everything going well until I was prizing off the pipe that seems to go the the FRP (if I'm right) anf this happened!

Any ideas. Drill it out and have a new one threaded or pressed or brazed in? Any one know where I can get some tubing like this?

I knew it was all going too well
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

That the sort of thing that usually happens to me Always on a Sunday as well...................

Comment

Or...What about blocking the broken one off and using a 'T' piece on the other. That way you can connect both vac hoses to the remaining outlet.
        If you're quick Halfords will still be open They do 'T' shaped fittings that would do the job.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by jubjub
          That the sort of thing that usually happens to me Always on a Sunday as well...................
          Have to started to take your IM off yet. Not too difficult. Some of the bolts are a git to get to but with long allen keys and a flexi extension for a ratchet I got there.

If you want to discuss how I did it PM me. BTW I promise not to tell you how to break the brass inserts off

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
            Or...What about blocking the broken one off and using a 'T' piece on the other. That way you can connect both vac hoses to the remaining outlet.
            If you're quick Halfords will still be open They do 'T' shaped fittings that would do the job.
            Not a bad idea! I don't plan on outting the car back together today - it'll take a few days to get the IM and RC blasted and coated.

I've got a mate who resotrs e-types and the like - reckon he might help if I ask nicely.

Comment

Have to started to take your IM off yet. Not too difficult. Some of the bolts are a git to get to but with long allen keys and a flexi extension for a ratchet I got there.

If you want to discuss how I did it PM me. BTW I promise not to tell you how to break the brass inserts off
              You got mail.....

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
                Ouch! what a bummer

I should think the brass vac pipes are pressed in. Unfortunately, I doubt very much that you can buy them individually. It wouldn't be too hard to get something machined up to replace it. You could bond the replacement in with epoxy or thread it into the alloy manifold.
                Been considering this for a while now and it seems that the easiest thing to do would be to get some tubing from a model shop - they usually do brass and steel tubing in very small guage - and epoxy it in.

Will epoxy handle the temperatures under the bonnet?

Comment

Been considering this for a while now and it seems that the easiest thing to do would be to get some tubing from a model shop - they usually do brass and steel tubing in very small guage - and epoxy it in.

Will epoxy handle the temperatures under the bonnet?
                  Leigh, go to a model shop, they sell Brass Tubing. cut a short length of tubing to suit and then solder it on using a blow lamp. this will give it a mechanical strength as well as an integrity.

Epoxy will break especially if petrol vapours are around..

An engineering shop should be able to help. I would drill it out, tap it and then put in a bolt which has been drilled and a new brass pipe inserted and soldered.

HTH

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                    Leigh, go to a model shop, they sell Brass Tubing. cut a short length of tubing to suit and then solder it on using a blow lamp. this will give it a mechanical strength as well as an integrity.

Epoxy will break especially if petrol vapours are around..

An engineering shop should be able to help. I would drill it out, tap it and then put in a bolt which has been drilled and a new brass pipe inserted and soldered.

HTH

David
                    Cheers David

Spoke to a mate tonight who probably has some tubing. Might try to solder it straight in - I was worried about epoxy being able to cope. Might try the bolt thing - need a lathe to drill out the centre though - which I dont have

Wonder if a brake bleed nipple would work?

Leigh

Comment

Cheers David

Spoke to a mate tonight who probably has some tubing. Might try to solder it straight in - I was worried about epoxy being able to cope. Might try the bolt thing - need a lathe to drill out the centre though - which I dont have

Wonder if a brake bleed nipple would work?

Leigh
                      Leigh, My mate Steve could easily do it. He lives near me But I feel that you don't have another car to come over. His name is Steve www.gpaengineering.co.uk.

The brake nipple does not have a long enough nipply bit!

HTH

David

Comment

i broke my brake master cylinder sensor taking of the intake manifold some how... WtF.. watch out for that too.

Cheers
                        Josh
                        I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                          Leigh, My mate Steve could easily do it. He lives near me But I feel that you don't have another car to come over. His name is Steve www.gpaengineering.co.uk.

The brake nipple does not have a long enough nipply bit!

HTH

David
                          David

Sorted it tonight. Drilled out the old one and have a peice of steel tubing to replace it with. Very slightly bigger but will do the job. Got hold of some araldite stuff called Super Steel - used it before an it's amazing. Recommends you use ot for filling cracks in engine blocks and boilers and stuff. Sets to an indestructible black 'stuff' and can take high temps too

I do have a second car but I don't like to talk about it. It's a 1997 Nissan Primera 2.0 GX . Now don't hold it against me. It keeps the mileage on the S2 down, does about 38 mpg, has 130 BHP and, although I hate to admit this, handles amazingly!

Comment

Glad you are sorted.

I've got a Mondeo and 6 morris Minors and you are worried about a Nissan!

David

Comment

Working...
                            X