De-catting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-catting?

Well i'm getting the car de-catted this weekend. Just woundering what you lot think is it a good/bad idea? I'm having it done so i can bolt the cats back in when needed,so all is well for the MOT but that isn;t a problem anyway
    Let me know your thoughts on this?

Cheers Lee
    Just some finishing touches to do now

It was definitely on my list of things to do
    1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
    2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
    1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

this gives a BIG improvement in spool-up, you'll like it.

but after some years of putting them back for MOT and removing them again I was fed up with the work so I decided to do it properly and install a 034 race kat in a supersprint pipe see http://www.s2power.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3452

Comment

I heard a rumour that the ABY isn't on the list for the cat test and as such can pass without.
        Ex owner of a 1993 Silver Avant - RS2 spec.
        2002 A8 sport 2.8 quattro Sold
        2003 A6 Avant Tdi
        Mk Indy 2.0 pinto circa 160 Bhp
        2004 VW Caddy SDi
        2002 Civic Type R

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys. So it is a good idea then,well hopefully i will notice the difference.
          Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Originally posted by MattS2 View Post
            I heard a rumour that the ABY isn't on the list for the cat test and as such can pass without.
            Since when?

I have been putting my CATs back on every year since 2004 as it would not get close to passing emissions without them.

That said, the effort is worth it. The car sounds better (even with a standard exhaust) and breathes a lot better. It will pull harder to the redline too.

Just do it!

Cheers,

Steve.
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
              Since when?
              The ABY isn't on the list for CAT tests. The 3B and ADU are though bizarrely. I'm sure they will close the loophole eventually but until then I will stay CAT free. I passed an MOT having had a non CAT test a couple of weeks back. I can't remember the exact text but it is stated on the advisory sheet as having had a non CAT test due to not being in the list of CAT vehicles.

Ben
              the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
              1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Just get a sports cat, 100CPI isn't a restriction and means you don't have to find a friendly garage or get dirty every MOT time. As for cost, £200 ish is about twice the cost of de-cats and yopu can have the Y piece removed so you'll get better performance too.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant View Post
                  The ABY isn't on the list for CAT tests. The 3B and ADU are though bizarrely. I'm sure they will close the loophole eventually but until then I will stay CAT free. I passed an MOT having had a non CAT test a couple of weeks back. I can't remember the exact text but it is stated on the advisory sheet as having had a non CAT test due to not being in the list of CAT vehicles.

Ben
                  I may have to have a "chat" with my local MOT tester then. As stated, I have always HAD to use my cats since 2004 and he always seems to spend a while at 3000 rpm getting it to pass the emissions test.

Ben, does this mean there is NO emissions test at all, or that it must PASS emissions but does not specifically have to have a Catalytic converter FITTED??

(If it does not need one fitted, BUT must pass emissions, basically you will NEVER pass the emissions without one fitted anyway!!! )

Thanks,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

An s2 that fails a fast idle cat test is then subject to a b.e.t test.The engine code needs to be identifyed & cat testing limits applied to that engine.These limits are published in a emmisions bible.if its not in that book you carry out a non cat test.I know ive done it.....
                    AKA "THE THREAD KILLER"
                    99 A6 V8 saloon
                    85 UR Quattro
                    01 Sharan v6 4motion
                    91 Golf gti cabrio sportline
                    95 Audi 80 DS2 saloon. project "SWEEP"
                    95 Audi 80 quattro v6.(but i have a 3b engine sat on the floor)protect "SUE"

Comment

Originally posted by UR-S4 View Post
                      An s2 that fails a fast idle cat test is then subject to a b.e.t test.The engine code needs to be identifyed & cat testing limits applied to that engine.These limits are published in a emmisions bible.if its not in that book you carry out a non cat test.I know ive done it.....
                      Interesting since my car is an ABY with an ADU head bah!

Comment

I didnt know that you could get a tall block petrol engine..........
                        AKA "THE THREAD KILLER"
                        99 A6 V8 saloon
                        85 UR Quattro
                        01 Sharan v6 4motion

Comment

Originally posted by UR-S4 View Post
                          I didnt know that you could get a tall block petrol engine..........
                          Good point

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                            Good point
                            diesel smoke testing is another story.....
                            AKA "THE THREAD KILLER"
                            99 A6 V8 saloon
                            85 UR Quattro
                            01 Sharan v6 4motion

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                              I may have to have a "chat" with my local MOT tester then. As stated, I have always HAD to use my cats since 2004 and he always seems to spend a while at 3000 rpm getting it to pass the emissions test.

Ben, does this mean there is NO emissions test at all, or that it must PASS emissions but does not specifically have to have a Catalytic converter FITTED??

(If it does not need one fitted, BUT must pass emissions, basically you will NEVER pass the emissions without one fitted anyway!!! )

Thanks,

Steve.
                              As stated by Jason (UR-S4) above you will fail the fast idle CAT test if you have no CATs. It is then that the Basic Emissions Test is carried out. This requires that the vehicle is correctly identified in the emissions bible and then tested appropriately. In the case of the ABY it is not in the bible so the default is a non CAT test. These are the rules laid down by VOSA so should apply at any and all MOT testing stations.

For the record my car has never had a 'dodgy' MOT during the time I have owned it and as can read above there is no reason for anyone else to have one on a decatted ABY.

Ben
                              the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                              1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Working...
                              X