• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Air Filters on ebay - Any good?

Noticed that someone has started selling lots of S2 Air Filters on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-FILTER-AUD...lenotsupported

£8.99 delivered which seems really cheap. Possibly made by Comline:

http://www.comline.uk.com/comline/bu...tml/eaf056.htm

Are they worth a punt? Or should I steer clear?

nah, save your money and get a k&n panel filter for your airbox instead

Comment

K&N will destroy the MAF by depositing oil on the hotwire (this happens no matter how much K&N denies it) I just inspected a MAF that was dripping with oil from a K&N cone filter (talk about bad combo, less power from hot air intake and a damaged MAF as a bonus.
      Stick to original Mahle/Knecht/Hengst paper filters. Mihnea is running those on this 500+ hp S4. He should know.
      1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
      1994 80E Avant
      1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
        K&N will destroy the MAF by depositing oil on the hotwire (this happens no matter how much K&N denies it) I just inspected a MAF that was dripping with oil from a K&N cone filter (talk about bad combo, less power from hot air intake and a damaged MAF as a bonus.
        Stick to original Mahle/Knecht/Hengst paper filters. Mihnea is running those on this 500+ hp S4. He should know.

Firstly, i said PANEL filter, not cone!

ive been running K&Ns on my cars for years, running the same Hotwire style MAFs and have never had a problem, as long as you dont over oil them they are excellent!

Comment

The cone filter was in reference to the one on the car that I just worked on.
          On a lower powered car, the airflow might be low enough not to separate the oil from the filter media, but once used on a car with some airflow, it will. Not always enough to straight up destroy the MAF but even a thin, often invisible film of oil does not do it any good.
          1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
          1994 80E Avant
          1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

i ran my k&n cone for years with no ill effects to the MAF....? Sure if you soak it in oil it won't do much good but as above, the hotwire Maf with the burn off shouldn't have any issues coping with it. I guess its all down to whether the owner can either follow instructions or just prefers to ignore them???
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

This has been discussed time and time again, many of us run K&N or oiled filters without issue, many run paper elements on high power, it's personal choice, all I can vouch for is that the K&N gives more noise.

As for cheap ebay ones, why bother, bet one from TPS wouldn't be too far off in price and has OOOO on it so is top quallity
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
              X