Eliminating negative boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminating negative boost

An interesting article to read. I found it in my search to improve the air filter intake routing in order to get more air (maybe under slight pressure), using the RAM air-intake effect:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0663/article.html

Especially the last 2 paragraphs of the story are interesting for me.

"The graph tells the story - the engine comes up on boost harder, but from 4000 rpm onwards the acceleration (and so power) is actually down. So, reluctantly, I filled the tank with 98-octane. 'Course, if I wasn't writing this story I'd have had no reluctance at all - but I hate changing two factors simultaneously when doing testing. But this time there appeared to be no other course of action that made more sense.

And with the better brew in the tank? Yes, it was better - but then I noticed that boost was always lower! Aaaahhh! The ECU appeared to be dropping boost to keep the power the same, ignoring the benefits that could be had from the new high-flow intake system and better fuel!"

The turbo pressure might eventually drop the tester writes, while I would think the turbo pressure will rise, since the turbo can spin more easily...
    Lucky for me I can change the VEMS settings to cope with pressure drop or increase

Also read his 4 other articles on this topic.

Any thoughts on this?

This one pops up once a year since it was written, big big debate on this on the yank forums

Comment

Working...
    X