Ooops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooops

I've just bought a replacement Lambda probe for the S6 have run into a bit of a problem when removing the old one. Namely, most of the thread has come away from the probe and is left in the downpipe.

My questions are:

1 - Is it likely that it can be re tapped and all will be fine.

2 - if not, does anyone have a spare downpipe for an AAN engined S6?

Will post a pic of the old sensor in a while. There is a very odd white coloured powder all over it.

I expect it can be re-tapped, I must have been lucky as mine came out easily..

I replaced mine at 108K - it was white as well, I think this indicates that it has been running lean.
    1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
    Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

As long as the thread of the probe is damaged and left behind and not the down pipe then you will be fine cleaning out the thread.

Theres quite a few AAN engined urs's here, are we aiming to take over the forum?
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

had the same problem on my RS2 I bought a tool to make new thread (don't now the name in english) and then easy to put the new one in
        RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Originally posted by maRS2
          had the same problem on my RS2 I bought a tool to make new thread (don't now the name in english) and then easy to put the new one in
          Here is a tap which will do our lambda sockets

http://www.sptools.co.uk/catalogue/?category=2

HTH
          Graham
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Graham
            Here is a tap which will do our lambda sockets

http://www.sptools.co.uk/catalogue/?category=2

HTH
            Graham
            Hopefully I will be able to chase it out with one of them. Can anyone confirm what size it is? M18 x 1.5?

Comment

Thats the size you need. The only thing i worry about is cuttings in the exhaust before the CAT, one way would be to put a small magnet onto the tap while your tapping the hole then it will hold most of the swarf so as little as possible goes into the exhaust.
              HTH
              Graham
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jdcorr
                I've just bought a replacement Lambda probe for the S6 have run into a bit of a problem when removing the old one. Namely, most of the thread has come away from the probe and is left in the downpipe.

My questions are:

1 - Is it likely that it can be re tapped and all will be fine.

2 - if not, does anyone have a spare downpipe for an AAN engined S6?

Will post a pic of the old sensor in a while. There is a very odd white coloured powder all over it.
                1/ this has been covered well enough.
                2/ at worst a new threaded insert could be welded into the down pipe, you shouldn't need a new pipe..
                3/ this is normal and is a build up of lime and burnt deposits. If it is the colour of a digestive biscuit then it is the correct mixture. light grey or white could indicate a lean mixture.

HTH

David

Comment

Working...
                X