• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramair Vs K&n

What do u guys that have cone filters fitted think. What r u
    using and is thier a power rating on them. Ramair tend to put
    a power maximum rating on their filters unlike K&N
    RS2 MTM

I'm not sure what you mean by power rating? But when deciding on which air filter to purchase you want to take into consideration how many Microns the air filter can filter out & how much CFM can it flow. If your vehicle is turbo charged the you may want to consider just using a standard filter element instead of a high performance type. Mainly because hi-flow filters can allow more unwanted particles to enter the turbo. This can eventually lead to premature turbo failure.

I have also read a few intresting articles regarding different types of intake designs & generally with cone type intake systems you can lose low end torque but gain very good improvements in the mid to high RPM range. However with CAI's (cold air intake systems) you will gain low end torque but lose out on top end performance due to the additional piping required with a true CAI set up. I am not familiar with your factory intake set up but alot of people with other types of vehicles have had excellent success by simply modifing their factory air box. Usually by modifing the factory air box you will notice performance gains throughout the RPM range without losing any low to mid range torque. I hope this information was helpful to you! Good luck!

Comment

On the subject of the standard airbox there was an article on autospeed sometime back where they tried modifying the standard airbox with negative effects, but a new cold air feed to the standard airbox inlet helped.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Autospeed article

Hi

The Autospeed articles can be found here.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0629

It makes for some interesting reading. Don't know if I want to take the chance of damaging my MAF though.

Regards
        Craig

Comment

Before I proceed with my post, I just want to remind anyone who reads this that in my original post I stated that I was not familiar with this gentleman's particular intake system. I was only posting information based on general articles I have read that apply to several other brands of vehicles. I appologise if posting with non specific information pertaining to Audi intake systems was offensive. I don't feel that anyone is the cause for my defensiveness, I simple want it to be known I was only trying to help.

However, after reading the article I noticed that he recorded deffinite improvements in air flow after modifing the IN side of the factory air box to accomidate the new ducting from the "Positive Pressure" area. Was this actually the reason behind the knocking the computer sensed to retard ignition timing? Or could it have been caused by an insufficent amount of fuel, reduced negitive pressure, increased air flow, denser air charge or some other kind of mechanical issue. "My guess would be inaccurate readings from the MAF, which in turn could have caused the ECU not to deliver enough fuel, which caused a knock, which caused the ECU to retard timing". Thats just my guess, in know way am I saying that was the exact cause but it seems likely. Likely because I have heard many statments about the mesh screen the protects the hotwire in the MAF. One of those statments being that the screens actually help to straighten out the air entering the engine so the MAF can make an accurate reading. I don't know how much fact that statment carries but I have heard it more then once from different people. Also in this article he never states that the detonation problem was deffinitly caused by reducing negitive pressure if that was the case then the majority of the problem would have been cause by his modifications to the MAF since it was the most restrictive part of the factory intake system. Also, in the article he never mentions that the problem ceased to exist after returning the factory intake system to it's original form or if he even put it back to original. So what are we too beleive, that reducing negitive pressure by increasing the air flow was the actual cause of his mechanical problems? If this is so wouldn't the problem have cured itself once the engine was under boost since he was only removing negitive pressure? Do you think that his new found air flow may have created a denser intake charge which may have require additional fuel to maintain a proper A/F ratio? I'm not sure based on the article since it is inconclusive of what is actually causing the detonation to occur. He never investigated the actual issue creating his problem. But one thing is for certain he deffinitly improved the air flow! It's just too bad he didn't test this set up against other aftermarket intake designs to see which had a greater improvement.

xoxo,
          Nostrix

Comment

Very intresting.
            I read that article as well. The AAN engine dispite being a 20v turbo has
            quite a few different components to the 3B,ABY and ADU. They all have
            different airboxs, MAF and ECU. We also have to take into consideration
            different stages of modified cars.
            Thank you Gents. Its a well presented and intelectual debate.

Ramair is a British based company and has been going on for 25 years
            (unlike K&N). its factory fitment to Aston Martin, TWR, TVR, Prodrive
            & some Touring cars just to name a few.
            Every filter has a power rating, its just most manufacturers tend not to
            print them. The wrong filter can be deverstating cause will block quicker
            create vacuum between filter and turbo and well the rest is history
            RS2 MTM

Comment

Finally finished induction setup. Got Ramair rated at 400bhp and its huge.
              fits nice and snug with my custom heatshield and custom 80mm samco
              home to match the rest of boost hoses,
              . makes great sound coupled with Forge DV. You can really hear it doing
              its bussiness.
              RS2 MTM

Comment

pictures please!!

Originally posted by charlie
                Finally finished induction setup. Got Ramair rated at 400bhp and its huge.
                fits nice and snug with my custom heatshield and custom 80mm samco
                home to match the rest of boost hoses,
                . makes great sound coupled with Forge DV. You can really hear it doing
                its bussiness.
                No power, no glory!
                S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

Originally posted by Craig
                  Hi

The Autospeed articles can be found here.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0629

It makes for some interesting reading. Don't know if I want to take the chance of damaging my MAF though.

Regards
                  Craig
                  Anybody got a copy of this you cant access it anymore without paying

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                    Anybody got a copy of this you cant access it anymore without paying
                    Charlie, if you could post some pictures plz.
                    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Working...
                    X