Intercooler Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler Removal

I'm doing a bit of work about the S2 in prep for MOT, now a while back I bought the pipe to do the Mark H mod. As I was working it it anyway I decided to fit it, now, the intercooler is stuck solid to the crossmember pipe, I tried for ages to free it, used penetrating oil etc but nothing, I now have the crossmember removed as well but it aint budging.I am actually afraid that I'll crack the plastic pipe ( I cracked one of it's plastic mountings, not sure if it will leak yet ).

Is this normal? I'd have expected it to have just about fallen off. Has anyone any ideas? I'm wondering if some spanner monkey has used some kink of adhesive\sealant on it in the past.
    1996 Audi S6 Avant.
    1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Originally posted by gunman View Post
    I'm doing a bit of work about the S2 in prep for MOT, now a while back I bought the pipe to do the Mark H mod. As I was working it it anyway I decided to fit it, now, the intercooler is stuck solid to the crossmember pipe, I tried for ages to free it, used penetrating oil etc but nothing, I now have the crossmember removed as well but it aint budging.I am actually afraid that I'll crack the plastic pipe ( I cracked one of it's plastic mountings, not sure if it will leak yet ).

Is this normal? I'd have expected it to have just about fallen off. Has anyone any ideas? I'm wondering if some spanner monkey has used some kink of adhesive\sealant on it in the past.
    It's not normal, the standard seal is with a rubber O ring (which is the same as the thermaostat housing O ring) so it should come apart easily. Does sounds as though someone has used araldite or similar

John

Comment

No definitely not normal, mine came apart very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post

Mine is exactly as you've described, I was about to post about the same problem removing it a few days back.
        Shane

Comment

Oh dear - this doesn't sound good. If some muppet has glued it then your only vague hope is for heat to soften the adhesive - I'd go carefully with a tasty hot air gun.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'd leave it well alone as there is no need for the mark H mod if it's glued solid

Might be easier to pick up a 2nd hand IC and x-member they go cheap

Comment

I take it you had taken all the bolts off..

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                I'd leave it well alone as there is no need for the mark H mod if it's glued solid

Might be easier to pick up a 2nd hand IC and x-member they go cheap
                I was thinking that, I'm going to refit and boost test. If it doesnt leak it will get left alone.

Your definition of cheap and mine may be a bit different , But I'll be trying everything I can think of before spending £150 or more .
                1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Seen ABY IC and xmembers go for 30-50 pounds

Comment

Unusual problem. I bet if you remove the bolt and pressure test it to 2.0bar it will come apart..
                    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      Seen ABY IC and xmembers go for 30-50 pounds
                      That would be OK now, if you see anymore let me know. It isnt a priority for the MOT anyway so it can wait. I would like to see how this car would go when it actually hits 1.4 bar tho
                      1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Working...
                      X