K24R Oil Filler Cap Breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K24R Oil Filler Cap Breather

I'm designing a new filler cap to enable it to be used as a breather instead. The reason for this is that the head breather is in a poor location and serves to drain oil under hard accleration, rather than vent the head!

I am looking at the option of using an M20 tapped hole, to enable either a -10 or -
    12 AN adaptor and then union or barb, for proper oil hose. This adds about £20-30 to the cost for an adaptor and union, depending on spec.

For a more basic product, I could to re-use the PCV 90 deg rubber bend and a pipe union or solid pipe, to enable 19mm pipe to be used, of course, a silicon hose can also be used, should you want to bling it up a bit. The issue here is with having a feature to provide sufficient grip to enable easy access, due to machining access. It might be a case of using the hose clip for the rare occasion the oil gets refilled

The product retains the standard method of twist fitting and sealing and would be anodised aluminium.

pure guesswork at price, IIR £50-60 but solves a problem with these cars and is totally removable.

Anyone interested?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    Anyone interested?
    Yep.... assuming 3B operation (and some aftersales advice with sorting my breather with one of your catch tanks...! (when funds allow....)

Chris
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Revised this now. It uses an NPT thread, that enables any off the shelf NPT to XX adaptor, so AN, hose barb... whatever you want
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

A breather through the filler cap, with a tapped hole for an AN adapter? Interesting idea Andy
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Just enquiring about NPT fittings from Earl's. The idea would be that you can fit any NPT 3/4" fitting, either a hose barb or AN / JIC fitting
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Yep, something like this - http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/-12-j...6-12-809-p.asp

Comment

This

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/-10-j...2-10-741-p.asp

or this

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/-12-j...2-12-744-p.asp

The 90 is required for clearance on the bonnet.

Nearly got the design sorted, will require destroying a new filler cap to get the seal and locking mechanism. Going to get some tomorrow and reverse engineer them.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Good idea this.

Should also allow easy fitting of an unmodified 7A cover where required as the 7A cover has no breather outlet.
                '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Problem is that 3/4 NPT fitting is a bit large. I need 1/2" NPT to 16mm (5/8") or 19mm (3/4"), like these -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Turbonetics/880/30245/10002/-1
                  http://www.jegs.com/i/Gardner-Westco...J9003/10002/-1

I need to speak to Earl's, looks like they do a 5/8 hose to 1/2" NPT fitting. Ideal
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    The 90 is required for clearance on the bonnet.
                    I was thinking this + this or similar to make the oil cap a bit neater with just a nipple poking out the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                      I was thinking this + this or similar to make the oil cap a bit neater with just a nipple poking out the top.
                      Yes that is the correct way to do it.
                      Chef

Comment

Beauty is, you can do it however you want to

It'll be a 1/2" NPT thread, 3/4" is too large for the retaining mechaism to be made around. There are -10 and -12 adaptors available in that size

Will finish up the design and get a prototype made somewhere.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                          That is what I am working on just now, except with house plumbing bits just now

Locking mechanism is right in the way though.
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

so blank off the stock rear outlet then run this instead back into the PCV Andy?
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Yes, no more oil running out the stock breather. Will fit most VAGs too
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X