ADU Breather hoses -Silicone kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADU Breather hoses -Silicone kit?

I'm considering changing my PCV, one way valve, and flame trap. They've never been serviced so probably could do with a clean at the very least. I'm been advised that the hoses may well also benefit from changing.

How different is the 3B breather hose kit to the ADU/ABY? I know Roose have a 3B kit and Paul has offered to make up a an ABY/ADU kit but I can't send him mine as the car is a daily driver.

Would appreciate any comments on 3B vs ADU and if anyone has a full set of ADU breathers I could send Paul to make up a kit.

- Thanks
    RS2+ (now sold...)

The breather system on the ABY / ADU are metal pipes with rubber connections, it's not viable to replace the stock metal pipes with hoses unless you are installing a catch tank and cyclone system

Comment

Btw, check that your one-way valve is in tact.
      If it's not, it'll cause all of your smoking problems, as you will be boosting the crankcase.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

JP ran the N80 direct to the head, ditched the 1 way valve and blocked off the connection to the breather system, with good results. I followed suit and have run the N80 direct to the head for over a year now and it's a lot neater than ditching the OE fuel tank breather as well as enabling most breather configurations to be run without additional complexity. The only compromise is that you lose the vacuum to the breather system at idle - I've not experienced any smoking with this setup in over a year of running on a variety of useage. If you really want to keep the PCV and 1 way valve, then you can; it's just more complex, as it'll need additional hose routing.

ADU and 3B are different enough that you can't interchange. Ideally, you want to relocate the head breather and add a swirl pot to replace all of the OE stuff really; catch tank is optional. Have a read of my threads, as I've done some testing on oil coming from the head under acceleration and I also found that the OE setup acts very differently on a clockwise to anti-clockwise track due to the crank case outlet
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I agree - removing the manifold source is not that bad, as most blowby happens on boost.
          What I don't recommend is disconnecting the source between MAF-Turbo, as then there will be no vacuum on boost either.

Comment

Agreed
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
              Btw, check that your one-way valve is in tact.
              If it's not, it'll cause all of your smoking problems, as you will be boosting the crankcase.
              - Thanks everyone, I've a PCV and one way on order.

@ Jamo, I thought there were still some rubber hoses here and there forming part of that system? ie: the one that's NLA from the block to the PCV?
              RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                - Thanks everyone, I've a PCV and one way on order.

@ Jamo, I thought there were still some rubber hoses here and there forming part of that system? ie: the one that's NLA from the block to the PCV?
                3B only

ABY / ABY connects by two metal pipes and the rest are just joiners

Comment

Ah OK - thanks
                  RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

The PCV valve is a very simple piece of kit - it's a small plastic disc that gets pushed back n forth in the rubber hose to open / close. The only time it needs replacing is if the rubber starts to deteriorate on the hose, otherwise a clean is adequate.

That said - mine split in half on boost during mapping because it wasn't clipped back together tight enough... and it's a real hassle to get it out at midnight with a hot engine

I do have a complete ABY breather hose set from my old motor if needed. As Jamo stated, there's not really much rubber as it's mostly metal hoses. What you do need to do is give the lot a thorough soaking in something nasty to get all the gunk out, it's actually really easy to get to everything once you know what's what.
                    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Ross, stop posting and get your car dynoed

Comment

i kept the original metal piece that holds the one way valve and N80 valve, and as it is big enough, i have connected that to the cyclone/tank system we have made. Therefore, check valve is kept and working nicely on idle, and N80 is operating with the tradional way as well, only managed through vems obviously. So far and with piston rings shot, the system worked nicely, so its proved to me the setup. Hopefully with proper rings now, it should be even better.

Comment

Lloyd,
                          let me know if you want further info of the setup and i can send you some photos!

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                            Lloyd,
                            let me know if you want further info of the setup and i can send you some photos!
                            It would be really good if either of you could post pictures. I'm thinking of doing this and a good BTDT with pictures would be ideal!
                            John Bowlerwell
                            Electronic Engineer

Present:
                            Nogaro Blue RS2 - TOE
                            Previous:
                            Kingfisher Blue S2 - UAA
                            Volcano Black RS2 LHD - DEX

Comment

Sure. I'll try and link a couple up

sent using Android

Comment

Working...