Beware of eBay MAF's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of eBay MAF's

A customer of mine has recently purchased one of the supposedly new MAF's on sale on UK eBay for around 170 quid. Now 190!

I'm surprised he's not post up about himself yet, however he is engaged in a dispute with the seller so I can understand him keeping quite at the moment. I do know he's not happy with what he was supplied with so I'll leave it to him to make his own comments.

I have given him all the advice I can and told him to photograph it, under no circumstances fit it and get his money back.

I can confirm what he received was a 3B recon unit with the calibration screw in a mess and not sealed in any way. Which is not a good start, it also has fresh marks on the connection pins.

STAY AWAY!!!
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Its almost unbelievable what people try and get away with on ebay. Then you only have to meet a good cross section of the general public to realise why. Most of them are ******s :corey:
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Its almost unbelievable what people try and get away with on ebay. Then you only have to meet a good cross section of the general public to realise why. Most of them are ******s :corey:

There are too many dodgy sellers on ebay, thankfully the dispute resolution nearly always comes down on the buyers side. So as long as you complain via ebay within 60 days you'll get your money back minus the cost of signed for return postage.

Cheers for the heads up.

Comment

could you pm the seller...as I am about to buy a MAF this week...

cheers
        Mike

Comment

Just buy new/reconditioned units from vendors.
          Do not buy used MAF's, most of them are over 10 years old and are all out of calibration...
          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
            Just buy new/reconditioned units from vendors.
            Do not buy used MAF's, most of them are over 10 years old and are all out of calibration...
            I was looking at new ones and the first line of K's posting...

Dmitri, I'll pm the dealer to see if you have had any experience with them...it is an RS4 version...

Comment

There's tons of knockoffs on eBay.
              Unless it says it is GENUINE Bosch, it's not what you need.
              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

I can't find the seller on there now, only had a chance to have a brief look mind you.

They were linked to in another recent thread.

As I say in my first post it was supplied as new, not obviously boddged.

Comment

Right an update iv had a reply from the people that sold me the maf and they have said that they come straight from bosch in bubble wrap and are then reboxed by themselves and sent out to the customer, that sounds to me that they are reconditioned and not new as stated in the listing. they have offered to replace the unit or refund me. Do i give them another chance or get my money back and get one from Ecp for an extra ÂŁ20. the seller is onlineautocomponents .co.uk or 4 Rings Spares ltd.
                  Last edited by bilko0795; 3 April 2012, 15:13. Reason: add script

Comment

I'd take my money and run.

Another 20 quid for piece of mind is worth it in my book.

Comment

Yep taking your advice kit and have asked for a refund.

Comment

Good idea mate. If you got sent another one the same you'd have a load more hassle and the return postage etc.

At least the ECP on will be as described and you also have proper buyer protection when dealing with a big company like them.

I do know of 4 Rings spares, their a breakers up north. Went there about 8 years ago to cut the the rear quarter and boot floor out of an Avant with Trist28 and unexpectedly picked up a 1/2 leather interior for my now recycled 2.3 Coupe along with a load of other bits. We only dealt with one of the yard lads as we went on a Sat morning, seemed like an OK business, not cheap mind you.

My word, that's jogged a memory! It was that day we went via Sheffield and I purchased my first Corrado. A cat D VR6. Sure I told you about it the other day.

Comment

Yep the one that went sideways to a tree i believe.

Comment

Well, more like backwards into a lamp post, large road sign, concrete bollards and a shop for good measure.

Comment

glad ive read this thread now, i have had the maf on my ebay watch list for ages now but something has been stopping me from commiting to buy...
                              good old 6th sense, its about time i smelt a rat before going head first and jumping in
                              ebay has become a minefield with more and more junk for sale than ever.
                              the golden rule... 'buyer beware'

Comment

Working...
                              X