CAT Replacement Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAT Replacement Pipes

Would these be the same for both Coupe and Avant?

Cheers
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Originally posted by S2 Ant
    Would these be the same for both Coupe and Avant?

Cheers
    How does it feel if you remove the cats? Is there any difference?
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

More flames popping out the back for one thing.
      I think it has more poke but a rolling road will prove that.
      My cats are hollow now and they sound a bit loud (sounds like a leak but it isn't leaking). I guess cat bypass pipes would be better than empty cats for gas flow and noise.
      1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
      Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I have a couple of replacement pipes sitting in the garage - you can try them when you are up if you want Lee - if you can be arsed - not the nicest thing to change lying under the car - in the cold!
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

if the cats are replaced, (apart from the emissions goin of the chart) does anything else need to be moved or modified?

was just thinkin of the lambda probe or similar??
          and the fact i could do it 'legally' this time, as the car is a J-plate and not a K-plate like the old corrado
          '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

Nothing else needs to be changed as the lambda sensor is before the CATs anyway.

Just a case of removing and away you go... altho i think the CATs have hangers somewhere around there to support the weight of the exhaust, so best make sure you get this on there too.
            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I have the supports welded onto my replacement pipes - to take some of the weight of the exhaust.
              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I did the before and after test on the Cats on my car - it had already been MTMed, and had a full Scorpion system installed, but originally still had the Cats.

Defintely improves top end grunt, can't say it improved bottom end pull at all. It gave it more of a rumble at low revs, and makes more of a "whooshing roaring" noise from the outside on full boost. Sings like a tenor at high revs!

Defintely get more flames though, I quite often hear little burbles and pops on the overrun if I've been larraping the car for a bit. Which is always fun.

Basically if you can legally remove them, remove them!
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
                X