"induction kits"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "induction kits"

Just purely out of academic interest (yeah, right ), what options are there for improving the air induction on the S2?

Are the usual "sports panel filters", Cone induction thingies, and cold air feed type pipe jobbies still available off-the-shelf, or are they very much custom jobs now?

Is there much point cost/benefit wise, apart from a noisier rasping sucking sound?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Sports panel filters are readily available from all sorts of places as the S2 shares its filter with lots of other VW and Audis.
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

only problem with the S2 is if you go for a cone type induction kit there is a problem with heatsoak to it if you dont make a shield or have it located in the right place.

And a few people have had problems with OILY MAF's when using the oiled K&N type filters.

Personally on a standard car i would just fit a better panel filter but on upgrading engine think it is more worthwhile fitting a cone filter in there properly
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Doesnt look a bad idea this intake pipe.

Just a matter of finding a good route up behind the headlight, sure there must be a good way of doing this, esp since mark has mounted his Air filter here.
        Greg

Comment

Are air filters worthy

Judging by reading this article about the intake system of a US S4 (uk S6) it would seem that the air filter is one of the least restrictive parts of the system
          Greg

Comment

I used two different inductions on my car, first K&N, then Pipercross. I had these for under a year, and went through 2 MAF's. I would stick to a decent panel filter, seems MAF's are not only sensitive to oil mist, but also the car seems to run leaner at top end (more air on current fuelling). :mad:

Comment

I disagree with the heat problem. The air is going to go thru the intercooler anyway, I don't think heat shields make a lick of difference. In fact, I think the real heat problem for incoming air is the metal tube which runs along the nice hot intake where the air has plenty of time to heat up on it's way to the intake. That's the heat problem, not the air filter. Open that thing up and let it breathe, let it get as much air as it wants....
              Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
              Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

Mik, I have to disagree, I've measured intake air temps in both cases and a badly insulated induction kit increases intake air temps by at least 5-10 degrees C, which means that the engine will ping a lot easier. The air goes indeed through the intercooler, but on a chipped car where the turbo is already at the efficiency limits, the intercooler isn't of great help unfortunately.... A good heatshield though, will make for identical intake air temps as compared to a stock airfilter, but with improved breathing. Another problem is that the stock airfilter box has a pipe before the air enters the MAF, which is meant to "straighten" airflow, well, if you take that one out, the MAF might suffer more from turbulences coming directly from the air filter, I and several other people have unfortunately BTDT...

Originally posted by MikQuattro
                I disagree with the heat problem. The air is going to go thru the intercooler anyway, I don't think heat shields make a lick of difference. In fact, I think the real heat problem for incoming air is the metal tube which runs along the nice hot intake where the air has plenty of time to heat up on it's way to the intake. That's the heat problem, not the air filter. Open that thing up and let it breathe, let it get as much air as it wants....
                '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                info@MRCTuning.com
                Workshop Directions

Comment

There is one clear advantage: the original air box is so sound absorbing that you really can't hear the by-pass, but with cone type you can get the sound out of it
                  -

Comment

Had a K&N cone on mine for over 18months and not had any problems with MAFs, oil mist etc etc the only thing i do notice is that when the engine is very hot it does bog down when you pull away, once positive airflow through the front of the car is achieved then the problem disappears and everything is ok.

I have fashioned a makeshift heat shield and I have noticed only a little bit of difference and to be honest even that gets bloody hot. I think placing a cone where Mark H has his is the only sensible location to get the benefit of true cold air.

Yeah - and the 'sneeze' on gearshifts is cool!!!

David
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea
                      Mik, I have to disagree, I've measured intake air temps in both cases and a badly insulated induction kit increases intake air temps by at least 5-10 degrees C, which means that the engine will ping a lot easier. The air goes indeed through the intercooler, but on a chipped car where the turbo is already at the efficiency limits, the intercooler isn't of great help unfortunately.... A good heatshield though, will make for identical intake air temps as compared to a stock airfilter, but with improved breathing. Another problem is that the stock airfilter box has a pipe before the air enters the MAF, which is meant to "straighten" airflow, well, if you take that one out, the MAF might suffer more from turbulences coming directly from the air filter, I and several other people have unfortunately BTDT...

Mihnea, thanks for the info, I wasn't taking the chipped performance into account. I can see how a chipped car would be affected by any variance in airflow or heat. I wonder how much difference there would be if you added a heat shield for the induction kit and an additional shield for the air piping up to the intake?

Thanks again for the input!
                      Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
                      Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

With the intake that low dont you have problems with water ingression and if you hit a decent puddle :eek2: wouldnt the car suck up the puddle, what about a bonnet vent and a piece of ducting that would take air to the underside of the standard airbox, not a big noddy max power spesh, but a nice little scoop right above the airbox, where the air is at high pressure as it has just been forced up the front of the car and over the bonnet?
                        Graham
                        Attached Files
                        Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

whilst ive had my car apart the last few days it would be quite easy to install an extra intake pipe up behind headlight for the standard air box with a pipe running from oil cooler duct to plastic trim behind headlight which should allow more cool air upto the air box.

Will have to wait until bumper is off again to do that.

Greg
                          Greg

Comment

Am I right in saying that a stock car will not run properly using a cone filter? I have experienced this myself until Mr. Nugent did some custom mapping.
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom,

Was running my car (in stock form) for over a year before home fries. Noooooooooo problems at all.

Cheers,

David
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X