cone filter fitted, noise sweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cone filter fitted, noise sweet

You didn't say the suction and blow off noise would fill the car with smiling people all the time I drive in town w ith lots of ger changes and acceleration. Even my ex-typewriter assistant can't come anywhere near...
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

To come to the point, in order to guide cool air to the filter isn't it sufficient to remowe the plastic covers at the back of the headlights? What undesired effect would it have?
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Ha - yes the turbo blow off noise is rather fun isn't it! Got any pictures of your cone installed? What cone did you go for? Have you got any heat-shielding between the hot turbo and your air intake?
      What I've done is to run some flexi-hose from the gap where my aux-rad used to be and along next to the filter - got the hose from my local builders' merchants, didn't cost much at all.
      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I'll post the pics now to have your comments plz. Yes, a first version of shielding is there. The cone is JOM from Germany, the largest from their selection. Cost about 40 euros here. Due to its size I had not much choice than mount it directly onto the MAF. I am searching for a connecting tube to turn it down behind the headlight. Something like the Dahlback.
        Gabor

Comment

I've mounted mine directly on the MAF -I didn't want to increase the length of the intake tract any further!

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
            I've mounted mine directly on the MAF -I didn't want to increase the length of the intake tract any further!
            Yes, thats something to consider, too. I go and do some pics.
            Gabor

Comment

see my pictures and your comments please. I didn't put the plastic covers back at their place behind the headlight. Should I?
              Attached Files
              Gabor

Comment

the shield (miserable, I admit....)
                Attached Files
                Gabor

Comment

Ideally you could do with some ducting to help bring cold air up to the filter, rather than just relying on it drifting past the headlamp. Are you going to add more shielding?
                  acidtrax

Comment

Originally posted by Bibby
                    Ideally you could do with some ducting to help bring cold air up to the filter, rather than just relying on it drifting past the headlamp. Are you going to add more shielding?
                    Yes, I am already designing the real shield in my mind. Just dropped in this primitive one because I couldn't wait to test how the cone delivered and at first drive the MAF was hot. I suppose its not desired. When ready, I'll post the pics.
                    Someone posted his version of ducting from the oilcooler channel and I am going to borrow this style. I am already looking for the optimal vacuum cleaner end piece to act as suction end. I am surprised, though, that the rain doesn't come in into the engine bay, with no plastic covers on behind the lights.
                    Gabor

Comment

You should see Lee's heatshield

My headlamp covers have got enormous holes in them at the moment from when I installed the HID kit, haven't got round to filling them back up with a rubber seal yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                        Ha - yes the turbo blow off noise is rather fun isn't it! Got any pictures of your cone installed? What cone did you go for? Have you got any heat-shielding between the hot turbo and your air intake?
                        What I've done is to run some flexi-hose from the gap where my aux-rad used to be and along next to the filter - got the hose from my local builders' merchants, didn't cost much at all.

Ha!

I got an HKS fitted and sxxt myself when I first took it up the road - thought I'd holed one of the turbo hoses with a screwdriver of something, its so loud

I'll Post some pics, but if you want to turn the filter round to face the front, Samco do some 135 deg 80mm hoses. I used one of them and a 45 deg, so that it was roughly 180 from the MAF.

Also got some ally heat shield material from Demon Tweeks. Dead easy to cut / bend etc.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickhey
                          Ha!

I got an HKS fitted and sxxt myself when I first took it up the road - thought I'd holed one of the turbo hoses with a screwdriver of something, its so loud

I'll Post some pics, but if you want to turn the filter round to face the front, Samco do some 135 deg 80mm hoses. I used one of them and a 45 deg, so that it was roughly 180 from the MAF.

Also got some ally heat shield material from Demon Tweeks. Dead easy to cut / bend etc.

Nick
                          Hi Nick,

of course I would be happy to check out your version. I still wonder if it was a mistake to buy this huge cone. It would require a sharp bend of the tube to connect.....but the sound...The missus asked if its gonna stay like that. I said it was just a "during service" situation. hahaha a long one.
                          Gabor

Comment

But, with or without shield, that cone doesn´t always get more hot air that a the OEM box with filter?

I wanted to put a BMC CDA (carbon fiber), but that filter is HUGE to put it mount with the intake side on the front... maybe with the intake side turned to the back and have a pipe in to the front...

I saw too the dahlback system, with the MAGNIFIC pipe and a cone, but, and the hot air?

For now, i installed a K&N filter in the box, but i am seeking for a good admission, but not too "open"... what should i mount without be expensive like dalhback!

PS: We have an option, cut the fender, into the intake box, some small holes, the filter ill be on top of that holes... but cut the fender??? like some old mercedes? NO
                            Audi 100 TDI :mischeif:

MRC remap; Green Injectors; Champion Sparks; Forge DV 006; Samco Intake pipes; K&N filter
                            Xenon 6500k; Pillar Boost gauge; Alpine CDA 9835R on Bose with Infinity Sub
                            Oettinger 8x18" with GS-D3 225/40ZR18; Bilstein with H&R Springs (-40mm)

www.autopamplona.com
                            www.mrctuning.com

Comment

Hi, BC,

IMHO the direct filter made a more definite improvement in response when installing it instead of the K&N element than adding of the K&N element to the original system. I think the original airbox of the S2 is too restrictive if you have a remapped engine with good suction.
                              Gabor

Comment

Working...
                              X