Removing centre silencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing centre silencer

Looking to get a slightly louder sound to my exhaust so contemplating removing the center silencer or is this frowned upon as stock exhausts are rare?

Has anyone done this and would it have the desired affect?

Only looking for noise gains nothing else, the RS is for my power kicks. I have the Milltek back box so been looking at cat back systems to replace this however I thought cutting out center silencer is easier and a lot cheaper than a new system.

Any other alternatives as most systems seem to be £600, a lot of money for a little more noise.
    94-S2 Coupe ABY
    00-B5 RS4

I have a decent ABY coupe centre section you could have for not much, that way you can keep your stock one too
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You mean a Milltek centre section? Would that be any noiser than std centre section? Was thinking straight pipes from CATs to the back box.
      94-S2 Coupe ABY
      00-B5 RS4

Comment

no centre silencer will definitely increase the noise to how it should have left the factory
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by coullstar View Post
          You mean a Milltek centre section? Would that be any noiser than std centre section? Was thinking straight pipes from CATs to the back box.
          No I mean I have a stock ABY coupe centre section you could cut out the silencer and it would be a straight fit from cat back. It will definitely sound louder, but with the cats it won't be too much and shouldn't drone either.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cool, would need it posted though. Any photos to show what it's like?
            94-S2 Coupe ABY
            00-B5 RS4

Comment

I had a custom exhaust made up with centre and rear silencers. It was quiet, so I had the centre silencer moved and it was still quiet

Remove it: it's weight and a restriction that's not needed
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Yeah Im not looking for anything overly loud but just a bit louder than at present.
                94-S2 Coupe ABY
                00-B5 RS4

Comment

On the flipside has anyone fitted one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1617733875...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                  94-S2 Coupe ABY
                  00-B5 RS4

Comment

Many people think that not having a center section is the solution to their 20VT exhaust issues. Typically what they soon find out is the Audi engineers aren't stupid: the center resonator eliminates a drone at typical highway (motorway) speeds that you get when there is no center section. While you as the driver might be able to tolerate the drone, typically passengers (read: wife/girlfriend) can't handle it and the center section soon goes back in.

Just sayin'.
                    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      I had a custom exhaust made up with centre and rear silencers. It was quiet, so I had the centre silencer moved and it was still quiet

Remove it: it's weight and a restriction that's not needed
                      I had a custom made without the centre silencer removed and they kept it at the same volume but a different tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X