rev counter runs wild - false reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rev counter runs wild - false reading

intermitedly this happens .... I rev and its ok .. then as i pass through the range it sometimes jumps up and and goes past the actual rev range that the engine is doing

so its now giving me a red line .. but im probably only doing 5000rpms!!!

how do i fix this?

I have also recently done the plasma guage upgrade

This is a bit alarming Chris. i hope it will sort out.

Might just be lose connections at the back of the connector blocks??? just a thought.

Cheers.
    Bo
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

not loose i checked ..... any ideas anyone? .. this started showing before the guages

.. its not all the time ..

anyone?

Comment

I've heard of issues with no RPM signal being sent, not sure what causes it or how it's resolevd, but maybe there's a failure of something in terms of a sensor? Sorry to be vague, just shooting out ideas here...
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

thats ok .. ill find it somehow

ps: ur videos up now from combe enjoy

Comment

I thought i had this problem with my car, revs sometimes just drop off to 0 then jump back upto 1k, 2k etc.

Thought it was doing it on the way up too, Only realised the other day that i don't have a rev limiter / its not working all the time/ not there. as i hit the limiter in first then into second gear and the car pulled so strongly and kept pulling relentlessley past the 7500 RPM lines , at which point i promptly changed gear

Need to check the hall sendor on mine.
            Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

any thoughts guys .. as this is getting on my **** ... and ill be able to fix this soon as im finishing uni

Comment

bump ... any checks i should do?

Comment

Bump - I am also getting this now every so often, I can hold the revs and it will move slightly up and down and gives false redline readings. Any ideas?

Comment

me too! no idea what it is, i though possibly dodgy grounding but havnt got round to checking it!

Comment

Seems like this might be getting a common problem, its just annoying as I keep thinking the engine's topped out when it has not.

Comment

Me too, it happens more when it's cold or raining outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Ws2 View Post
                          Me too, it happens more when it's cold or raining outside.
                          I bet, that it is something broken/loose soldering inside the dash. Motronic ecu provides tachometer signal, so this eliminates sensor fault.

Sau
                          200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                          CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

It must be an S2 thing as mine does this

Might be a problem with the feed, where it comes from i hav'nt got a clue some feeds are from the alternator but my voltage guage does'nt move when the rev counter flicks up and down, strange!
                            '95 ABY Avant - Sold
                            '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

Originally posted by kwlw View Post
                              I bet, that it is something broken/loose soldering inside the dash. Motronic ecu provides tachometer signal, so this eliminates sensor fault.

Sau

Yes, that's what I was thinking too.
                              I heard this (dash) problem is typical for the Audi b3/4 models, so I'm going to check the dash soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X