Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlining refit query

Alright chaps,

When installing the headlining following a retrim, have you guys been applying some sort of double sided sticky tape to hold the headlining in place against the cassette or is it ok to fit as is. It's on a coupe if that makes any difference.

Can't imagine it would sag down really without tape but any experience on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gordon

I used Velcro to hold mine Gordon. Worked a treat.

Comment

I was advised by the dealer to use audi windscreen sealent to do that and that was what I did!

Comment

Alright guys, cheers for the input. I'm liking the idea of velcro, never even thought off that. Good call!! The windscreen sealant would no doubt hold stronger, however I'm thinking if the headlining had to come out again it might be a mission to remove without damaging it (all dependant on how much sealant was used I guess).

I think Velco is the route for me.

Thanks lads.

Comment

Or double sided tape

Comment

Thinking about it I guess the sealent is a bit overkill and if I had to do it now I´ll go with the velcro too, I hope I never have to do it again!

Comment

Hehe I know, I've had the headliner out for ages and been trying to find someone local that would retrim it for me, as I'm just not sure how good a job I'll do.

Really don't want to end up with loads of creases in it, otherwise it will need to get done again. Never had to do any upholstery type work before so not sure how it's going to go. I'll be tackling it this weekend I reckon. Mechanical work is no problem, manipulating fabric neatly in to all the various contours of the headlining is whole different ball game!!

Comment

I used wide double sided tape-like the sort to hold number plates on. Seems to have worked well so far.
                i used a soft cloth folded up to press the headliner to it-very gently as not to produce any indents

Comment

This is the factory procedure for the A6, I imagine the coupe would have been along the same lines
                  One assumes bonding the headliner gives additional support to the roof skin also
                  Attached Files
                  1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
                  2002 ASZ Golf (Doris' Daily)
                  1997 AJK-G2 A6 Avant Q (In surgery)
                  1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)
                  1994 ABC A6 Avant (Spare)
                  1984 JS Coupe GT (Slow progress)
                  1982 WN Coupe GT5 (Spare)
                  1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)

Comment

Cheers for the PDF, that installation method certainly would hold the headliner secure in place, looks like it would be a mission to remove again if required though. I've ordered some velcro pads off eBay, I think they will do the job nicely and easy to remove the headliner again if for some reason it needs to come out. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

Comment

I used wide double sided tape but never thought to use Velcro which seems a good idea

Comment

Working...
                      X