It Not only Wales thats flooded....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Not only Wales thats flooded....

Hi Guys, got a big puddle in my drivers side footwell, traced it to the door seal, and could actually watch the water "flowing" down the rubber before heading into the car.

MartynF, any idea on the cost of a new door seal?

Cheers,
    Nick
    Nick R
    ---------------------------
    91 3B, 161k, Blue, Milltek.
    Still a supercar ;-)

Hi Nick,

Audi price was £375 last time I asked. I have used the same door seals but used a non setting mastic between the metal and the door seal. I bet you have lost your pip on the door seal. This is important for the location of the seal from a watertightness and a wind noise point of view.

I have had many leaks and cured them totally. One big thing to look at is the pip on the back of the triangular web at the top front of the door metalwork which is essential for correct location. the other thing was a windscreen replacement which I had done they only used 5 instead of 13 rivets to hold the gutter trim in place. and the water was coming down the back of the rubber seal. A new rubber seal would not have made any difference in this case.

Sorry martyn not trying to do you out of business.

David.

Comment

Thanks for the reply David. Thats a firkin rediculous price for a seal in my mind, but then there aren't many low cost parts for this car!!

I'll have a closer look and see what I can do to stem the flow.

Cheers,
      Nick
      Nick R
      Still a supercar ;-)

Comment

A small "trick" for door seals can be to get a length of screen was tubing and feed it into the door seal "tube" to re-inforce it and thus help it to seal. Might be worth a try rather than buying a cheap new one! then again....what's £375 between your bank manager (wife) and an Audi stealership!!
        Anyway, hope this tip helps.
        Regards
        Chris
        A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Sorry fingers not fast enough..... screen WASH tubing!!! lol
          A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Another excellent idea, thanks Chris.

I've been thinking about maybe using some silicon sealant in the right places also .

David, btw, I do get wind noise occasionally from that top triangle area so that certainly suggest it not sealing properly.
            Nick R
            Still a supercar ;-)

Comment

David, btw, I do get wind noise occasionally from that top triangle area so that certainly suggest it not sealing properly. [/B][/QUOTE]

I get wind noise as well

Oh sorry I know what you mean now....

I had heard that Audi had considerable problems with the door/window sealing on the coupe.

I have not tried the piping trick as I have got mine working ok.

Take the seal off, soak it in the bath give it a thorough clean. Dry it off, clean the black gunge off the bath. clean all the channels that the seal fits into. Refit the seal starting at the top of the 'B' post working forward. using blunt flat blade screwdriver. fit the triangular bit into place and distribute the excess seal along the top. as the 'pip' had broken off the back of the triangle I used a self tapper through the seal into the pip hole o secure it. Since then it has been fine, Don't forget to fit the bottom as well. Use sealant along the 'a' post and refit the plastic trim.
              Then do the other side if needed. Whilst the seal is off check that it is riveted in place correctly. A standard pop rivet gun will not manage the job. I had to put a small nut between the pop rivet and the gun for it to work. The pop rivets are about 4mm in size ( I will check).

See my thread in guides and top tips about the rear lights
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=1757

If you can get some of the terason non setting mastic, I highly recommend it.

Good luck.

David

Comment

David, btw, I do get wind noise occasionally from that top triangle area so that certainly suggest it not sealing properly. [/B][/QUOTE]

I get wind noise as well

Oh sorry I know what you mean now....

I had heard that Audi had considerable problems with the door/window sealing on the coupe.

I have not tried the piping trick as I have got mine working ok.

Take the seal off, soak it in the bath give it a thorough clean. Dry it off, clean the black gunge off the bath. clean all the channels that the seal fits into. Refit the seal starting at the top of the 'B' post working forward. using blunt flat blade screwdriver. fit the triangular bit into place and distribute the excess seal along the top. as the 'pip' had broken off the back of the triangle I used a self tapper through the seal into the pip hole o secure it. Since then it has been fine, Don't forget to fit the bottom as well. Use sealant along the 'a' post and refit the plastic trim.
                Then do the other side if needed. Whilst the seal is off check that it is riveted in place correctly. A standard pop rivet gun will not manage the job. I had to put a small nut between the pop rivet and the gun for it to work. The pop rivets are about 4mm in size ( I will check).

See my thread in guides and top tips about the rear lights
                http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=1757

If you can get some of the terason non setting mastic, I highly reccomend it.

Good luck.

David

Comment

Working...
                X