Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerater pedal broken!

Old bigfoot has struck again,

I got my size 13 stuck behind the accelerator pedal and managed to kick the plastic pedal thingy off.

Has anyone had any experience in repairing this item. I have a spare one at a warehouse 15 miles away and can't get there during the day to collect it.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

David

Mine's busted too - the front rubbery bit has come off and I've got a stumpy bit with a strange spring thing sticking out. I've kind of got used to it, but would like to get round to fititng a new one soon!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
      Mine's busted too - the front rubbery bit has come off and I've got a stumpy bit with a strange spring thing sticking out.
      I'm speechless....

I will have to look at this. I think a new one is about £50?

David.

Comment

My size 12s are pretty clumsy - I'm left footed, so dextrous ability with the right peg has never been my strong point ops:

Comment

You'll have to watch it with the new team of moderators about!

All the audis I've seen in the scrapyards have broken pedals.

I'm sure Vagparts would peddle a new one

David

Comment

The pedal should just clip back in where it hinges half way up. Just give it a thump.
            You'll need to take off the parcel shelf bit hiding all the wiring under the steering wheel and then break your back lying upside down over the front seat, but apart from that its pretty straight forward!

The pedal cover has come off mine as well and my MOT is due this month, so I think I'll have a bad back before the weekend is over. You have to replace the whole pedal as the pedal cover cannot be bought seperately.

If anyone can suggest an easy way to get at where the cable attaches to the pedal, I'd be most grateful. I'm not the tallest and find it rather hard to reach up under there without mashing my face against the brake and clutch pedals!
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Thanks Sid,

I must have a look at it. It is probably quicker to just remove the seat..

Looks like a silly design to me.

David.

Comment

I've absoloutely no idea where the front rubbery bit of mine has gone - vanished

Comment

I broke the Accelerator pedal AND the throttle body connection (a plastic piece that holds the cable in place) at the same time :S

If you need to unhook your accelerator pedal/adjust the cable on the throttle body end for whatever reason be sure to reset the fault codes (pull fuse 26/27) as the throttle position sensor will be out (I drove for a week with 'will it, won't it' go faster driving before I reset the Ecu :S) though it sounds like you've just been hamfooted and snapped the plastic pedal off. Not comfy driving just pressing a metal rod.

Yeah, I'm size 13 too - must be a big footed thing

PJ
                  'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

I must be a bit of a scrooge, coz I broke mine but didn't fancy forking out 50 squid on a new one, but wanted to keep the hinging action rather than just a fixed pedal
                    Mine broke off at the hinge and I was left with the same as Dan, just a stumpy thing with the spring sticking up.
                    Solution....... I went to a diy shop and got a very small brass hinge and reattached it with some small bolts
                    Ya wouldn't even know it had been broken
                    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Thanks Chaps,

I like your idea Paul, I will look at it. I didn't know if there was a common fix.

I was about to look in Max power an buy a set of aluminium pedal covers

David

Comment

Max Power!!!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
                        Will take some pics so you can see what I mean David
                        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Her you go. sorry foe pic quality, as it is a camera phone!ops:
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Thanks for the photo Paul,

That gives me some idea.

I was just joking about Max Power....

I saw a metro driver and his mate driving a corsa with crummy hub caps the other night. I don't think they could afford a set of cruising lights ( led screen washers ) each. they had shared them and had one each,

David

Comment

I've just been out and fitted my new accelerator pedal. Not too difficult after all.

The easy way is simply to detach the cable at the throttle body end. There are only two little clips that locate the cable. Once these are removed it is easy to loosen the cable to give yourself enough slack.
                              Then unclip the centre hinge on the pedal itself and you should be able to pull it down so that you can unclip the cable with relative ease.
                              Refitting is simply the reverse as good old Mr Haynes would say.

Easy peasy - 10 minute job. No cuts, scrapes or bruises.
                              ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                              X