Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 spoke airbag steering wheel to 3 spoke airbag wheel parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 spoke airbag steering wheel to 3 spoke airbag wheel parts?

I have a friend with a 91 Cq in the US who wants to convert his four spoke airbag steering wheel to a three spoke airbag steering wheel, using an early A4 sport steering wheel. He has the steering wheel and airbag but nothing else, e.g. no clockspring, etc. What parts does he need to complete the swap.

I just did this on my 93S4 using a 97 S6 steering wheel. For that one, I needed the S6 column covers and tilt/telescoping levers and the S6 clockspring (that I had to modify slightly so the signal light cancellation would work). However, I don't know what a Cq would need. Any help will be appreciated. (I did search the archives but found no details - but I saw that this has been done).

Dave F.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

See this link http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?...ghlight=cancel
    For the steering wheel column trim, clock spring and switches you can use parts from a later model B3 sedan or cabrio ('93 and up?) with the later style air bag. The only part that may be difficult is the right side stalk since it also incorperates the rear wiper function. That is the only part that may not be available in the US.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Thanks I will forward the info on. NOTE - you do NOT have to change the switches in order to do this swap. However, you do need to modify the signal cancellation tab on the clockspring (slip ring). BTDT on my 93 S4 with a 97 S6 3 spoke and slip ring. Brings the cost and the hassle WAY down.

Comment

Can any one who has made this conversion using a 4D0 951 543D slip ring please confirm the P/Ns for the compatible column covers? The OE covers were for the round slip ring, not the larger, rectangular, 543D, slip ring. ETKA, using 1996 as the target year, shows a couple of options including "with airbag" but the diagrams of the covers are the same regardless.

TIA

Dave F.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          Can any one who has made this conversion using a 4D0 951 543D slip ring please confirm the P/Ns for the compatible column covers? The OE covers were for the round slip ring, not the larger, rectangular, 543D, slip ring. ETKA, using 1996 as the target year, shows a couple of options including "with airbag" but the diagrams of the covers are the same regardless.

TIA

Dave F.
          I have a 1995 US spec cabrio that has the 4-spoke steering wheel with the rectangular slip ring. So the covers from this model should work.

How did you modify the turn signal canceling ring to work with the smaller inner diameter column switches? Can you post a more detailed "how to"?
          Thanks, Chris
          "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Working...
          X