Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for new seats - a requirement, not a want!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for new seats - a requirement, not a want!

Right - I need some new seats. The standard ones just don't go low enough, I really struggled yesterday around the track when I had a helmet on.

I'm looking for a couple of things:

Must be able to be used with normal seatbelts and also a harness (presumably I'd attach a harness to somewhere in the back of the car)

Must be pretty lightweight (I'm putting the S2 on a diet soon, so weight is important)

Would prefer leather (it's the only bit of luxury that'll be left in the car!)

Must be comfortable for long distance drives as I do use the car daily and do loads of miles

I've never put non-standard seats in a car before so I don't really know what's involved. I presume I can buy seats that will pretty much fit straight in with the right bits, and that there will be some that I can buy that will be a bit more difficult.

Cost is also going to be a major factor! But I don't want to skimp.

Out to the masses then: What have you got, and what do you wish you had?
    1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
    2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
    1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

there was someone on audifans i think it was who devised a way of making the standard seats go lower.

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
      there was someone on audifans i think it was who devised a way of making the standard seats go lower.
      Umm, can't find it by searching....any idea which Audifans forum or what to search for?

Cheers n

Si
      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

audifans.net im sure jase will find it

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
          audifans.net im sure jase will find it
          not if I find it first

http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?...wtopic&t=10004

I am getting on for 6' 4" and also find this to be a problem.

I have found that it is possible to make the seat adjust 1 notch lower than standard. To do this:

1) remove seat from car

2) turn it upside down

WARNING - the height adjust mechanism is very powerfully spring loaded. If you activate (i.e. pull) the height adjust lever, whilst not sitting in the seat, the mechanism will move very suddenly. If a finger was in the wrong place at the wrong time it could easily be broken!!

3) remove the 2 BIG springs (the height adjust mechanism is now much safer but continue to take care not to trap fingers!).

4) untwist wire that holds fabric surround tight around base of seat and pull back the fabric to give access to the toothed locking mechanism.

5) you will now have to modify 2 parts of the locking mechanism:

a) there is an 'end stop' pin that physically stops the seat lowering past a certain point - remove the pin and extend the cutout that slides around the pin so that the seat can go lower (I found a Dremmel VERY useful for this part)

b) you will also need to create an extra groove on the toothed track of the locking mechanism (for this I used a small, sharp hand file).

6) put it all back together.

Doing all this didn't take too long and I now have an extra [EDIT] 2cm [/EDIT] of space to fit my oversized frame into. I'd definitely say it was worth it.

Comment

Yeah I found it too, stupidly I searched only under the S2 forum

The guy never posted the full BTDT with photos as promised. My problem is that my RS2 seats are motorised so his fixed is unlikely to work on mine

Cheers n

Si
            95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
            Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
            With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
              Yeah I found it too, stupidly I searched only under the S2 forum
              Snob
              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

I have a Recaro Speed and it's great. Sits lower and helmet fits fine (I'm 6 foot).

Doug (MRC) has Pole Positions in his S4 with standard belts.

I drove to Nurburg and back in mine and did 10 laps of the track then did Combe, all in a week. They're a little tight but the benefits on track are well worth it. Recaro also do Speed Cross seats with smaller bolsters on the base if you want slightly less support and more comfort, best try them out. Capital Seating were very helpful and supplied genuine Recaro subframes too, fitted straight in but did require a few pars from the old seats so might be worth getting some spares from a scrappie first.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I have a recaro style fitted in my s2 with the recaro subframe, support is much much better but I still have issues with headroom. I think if the subframe was modified it wouldbe fine though
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I've had suggestion of a Corbeau Boss seat. Suits the budget quite well and is a recliner too.. good for comfort. I think a combination of those + harnesses would be fine on track also.

http://www.corbeau-seats.co.uk/Corbe...%20Clubman.htm
                    1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
                    2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
                    1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X