Ghetto sunroof delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghetto sunroof delete?

Wanting more headroom in my coupe and the headlining is lower in my sunroof car than in a non sunroof car, plus it can't hurt to remove high up weight.

What are the options for deleting the sunroof on the cheap?

I was thinking of removing the motor and sliders and hopefully tabs could be fabricated that would bolt to some mounts (old slider mounts?) on the roof and hold the sunroof panel in place. The panel would need to be sealed in to keep the car watertight (ha ha). Could a non sunroof headliner then be fitted over this?

Or would the easy way to gain headroom be to remove the headlining and scoop away foam to make a big indent?

Any suggestions or input before I rip out the headlining to see what is there?
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

I'm doing this atm, going to have a panel put in place of the sunroof panel then use the spare non sunroof black headlining to finish it off.

If you know someone with a welder then could tack the old skin of the sunroof in so you can remove the cartridge then go from there? Best speak to quattronutter as he's who i've been speaking with about mine as he definately knows his stuff

Comment

If you're going to the trouble Andy, just weld it up and delete it once and forever.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just remember to be carefull with welding, another forum member on here me and jamo was chatting to had his welded and the guy managed to get the rear window to pop.

Comment

Was hoping to avoid welding it up, I don't want to warp the roof and that would another thing that needs painted.

Why did the rear window pop?

Was just curious if somebody who had had the sunroof in bits could see a simple way of fixing the panel in place.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Why don't you just open the sunroof when your driving the car and stick your head out of it? thats what my 6 foot 4 cousin does when driving his Ford Capri

Comment

My head does not grow out of my left shoulder

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Whats the Weight saving on a sunroof delete ?

S2 Coupe fully built.
                10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
                Precision 6262 turbo
                The Green Monster

Comment

I guess around 20kg maybe?
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

On the A4 its a heavy old chunk of weight. Not had mine out of the 90 yet, but I'd imagine it was a similar weight! As both cars are getting Cages, I'm having a carbon sunroof blank made that fits from underneath using the factory bolts and some good old Sikaflex to seal it.

Paul.

Comment

I just weleded some 20mm bar to the sun roof pannel tabs where the sliders go on then drilled some M6 bolt holes through to the tabs that come off the roof, taped it to the roof so it was 100% flat and in the correct place and bolted it up.

It's really simple when you look at it
                      Chef

Comment

suprised you didn't cut the whole roof out and bond on some FRP / composite James
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

working on something Alex!
                          Chef

Comment

Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                              I just weleded some 20mm bar to the sun roof pannel tabs where the sliders go on then drilled some M6 bolt holes through to the tabs that come off the roof, taped it to the roof so it was 100% flat and in the correct place and bolted it up.

It's really simple when you look at it
                              Excellent, that is exactly what wanted to here, thanks for the info.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X