ashtray lamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ashtray lamps?

Is the s2 meant to have ashtray lamps fitted? I noticed today that mine has got some orange "windows" fitted to both front & rear ashtrays as if there is meant to be a lamp behind ( but no lamp is there!)
    not any big deal as my car is a NEVER SMOKING! nice to know tho!,
    Simon

I certainly have an ashtray lamp that works in the front. I have never sat in the back, so don't know if that one works.

You should find that in the front there is a bulb holder behind the ashtray to light up through the orange window...

HTH

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yes - theres certainly a lamp in the front ashtray. I should know the part number as I have to order some of these - they are same as bulbs fitted behind heater controls which need replacing on mine.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

The lamp just clips on so it may have fallen down the bottom of your center console under the gearlever gater.

Mine dosent have one in the back only the front ashtray.

Originally posted by missmouse
        Is the s2 meant to have ashtray lamps fitted? I noticed today that mine has got some orange "windows" fitted to both front & rear ashtrays as if there is meant to be a lamp behind ( but no lamp is there!)
        not any big deal as my car is a NEVER SMOKING! nice to know tho!,
        Simon
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
          Yes - theres certainly a lamp in the front ashtray. I should know the part number as I have to order some of these - they are same as bulbs fitted behind heater controls which need replacing on mine.

Paul

OK thanx for that Paul, so I guess I have to remove the gear lever gaiter to gain access to the bulb? How do I remove the gaiter without damaging it? does it just prise out? it seems to move a bit but im feeling it might be held by some easily broken clips!
          Simon

Comment

Simon,

IIRC In order to remove the gaiter you need to remove the small square blanking cover at the rear of the centre console under the handbrake handle. This cover can be easily prised off with finger nails or a screwdriver. Once this is off there should be a small cross headed screw accessible in the horizontal plane. If you undo this it will allow the gaiter to lift up. (You will also have to unscrew the gear knob).

It is not difficult at all once you get into it and it should all go back together easily. I have taken mine apart on a number of occasions.

Cheers,

Steve.
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
              Simon,

IIRC In order to remove the gaiter you need to remove the small square blanking cover at the rear of the centre console under the handbrake handle. This cover can be easily prised off with finger nails or a screwdriver. Once this is off there should be a small cross headed screw accessible in the horizontal plane. If you undo this it will allow the gaiter to lift up. (You will also have to unscrew the gear knob).

It is not difficult at all once you get into it and it should all go back together easily. I have taken mine apart on a number of occasions.

Cheers,

Steve.

Thanx Steve, did'nt notice that before, I only saw the nut holding on the back section of the centre console! ( still no lamp for the ashtray tho!)
              cheers,
              Simon

seems to be an incredible number of options for our cars!

Comment

ashtray lamp?

Originally posted by missmouse
                Thanx Steve, did'nt notice that before, I only saw the nut holding on the back section of the centre console! ( still no lamp for the ashtray tho!)
                cheers,
                Simon

seems to be an incredible number of options for our cars!

AHA! I see it now! but its not under the gearlever gaiter, its further forward. Any idea how to remove the next part? looks like the part that the ashtray fits into that needs to come out,
                thanx,
                Simon

Comment

You don't remove the gaiter !!!

You have to remove the entire centre console - rear section first with the rearmost nut (under rear ashtray) then the bolt that secures it to front section. Then release the two locating clips on front section of console where they meet gearbox tunnel.

Hold on - DEJA MOO - I've heard this **** before - the procedure is on S2central.net - somewhere in Technical and Bodywork or Interior

A bottle of wine beckons... offski !

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                  X