No announcement yet.

Tar sound deadening removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep heat gun too soften then scrap off. remove leftovers with prepsol or something similar, torch might be a bit much, tried that and burnt the paint
    mal

Comment

Once the tar is off, I want to get a coat of primer on it all but as I don't.want overspray everywhere, I'm thinking it's best to.apply by brush. Any tips on what to use? I'm not sure if I'll be putting any tar back in but would need a suitable surface if I.did.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I think that you will only need to apply a primer if you are abrading or welding the metal. Otherwise you just apply a degreaser then the tar pads.

edit: assuming that you are abrading the surface you can apply 1-2 light coats of ACID #8 1K etch primer allow them to dry for 20 minutes. This primer comes in aerosols, so just mask off the area and off you go.
        Last edited by Nuvo; 25 June 2012, 18:04.

Comment

I want to seal any scratches made when scraping it all off and have a couple of bits of surface rust that's been caused by the water in the footwell, so will get a wire brush on them and clean it up.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

See my edited post. PS. for zinc coated steel I would abrade with P180 rather than using a wire brush.

Comment

Working...
            X