• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to dye my Coupe carpet

Hi,

I have this interior:

But I want a black carpet to get something like this:

I want to do it without taking the carpet off, so I think dyeing it is the best option. I've seen there are some kits that come with a spray and a brush to extend the dye over the carpet.

Has anyone done this before?
    Is changing from grey to black possible? Will I need too much dye to do it?
    Any suggestion on dye products?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing will happen if you do not remove the carpet! Only thing that you will achive is one big sh...!

Comment

Originally posted by Nik0las View Post
      Nothing will happen if you do not remove the carpet! Only thing that you will achive is one big sh...!
      I've read that removing the carpet without breaking the insulation is almost impossible. Apart from the plastic trims and the central console, is necessary to remove the dashboard to remove the carpet?

Comment

Originally posted by nobutora View Post
        I've read that removing the carpet without breaking the insulation is almost impossible. Apart from the plastic trims and the central console, is necessary to remove the dashboard to remove the carpet?
        correct! However insulation is replaceble you can by better and new than the standard one for few EU also yes you have to remove the dashbord as well which can be tricky but not impossible. Second option is that you cut the carpet between the dashbord so there will be no need dashbord to be taken off but you have to be smart and consider very well where you will cut.

Comment

I removed the carpet without taking the dashboard out. It's the bit that goes underneath the blower box that is tricky but it's not that hard. You can remove the carpet in a couple of hours without too much hassle. If you did remove the dash, then there are other jobs that it's worth doing at the same time, like a new heater matrix.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Nik0las View Post
            correct! However insulation is replaceble you can by better and new than the standard one for few EU also yes you have to remove the dashbord as well which can be tricky but not impossible. Second option is that you cut the carpet between the dashbord so there will be no need dashbord to be taken off but you have to be smart and consider very well where you will cut.
            You are convincing me to remove the dashboard , I see there are some good tutorials so I'm going to print them and I'll try it in Christmas.

Replacing the insulation shouldn't be difficult, any eBay/Online Shop suggestions to buy a new one?

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            I removed the carpet without taking the dashboard out. It's the bit that goes underneath the blower box that is tricky but it's not that hard. You can remove the carpet in a couple of hours without too much hassle. If you did remove the dash, then there are other jobs that it's worth doing at the same time, like a new heater matrix.
            I think I'll remove the dashboard, after reading the tutorial I think it isn't too difficult to do. And I can take the the opportunity to flock it...

Thanks for the advices and suggestions guys, really helpful.

Now I just need some help about dyeing the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by nobutora View Post

Now I just need some help about dyeing the carpet.
              Try asking 'Tonks4x4' I'm sure he has dyed carpets and a headlining
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

You do NOT need to remove the dash to take the carpet out.
                You may as well just change to an OE black carpet, dye will be a mess I am sure of it
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                  Try asking 'Tonks4x4' I'm sure he has dyed carpets and a headlining
                  I'll ask him.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  You do NOT need to remove the dash to take the carpet out.
                  You may as well just change to an OE black carpet, dye will be a mess I am sure of it
                  Sorry what does "OE" means?

Comment

Original Equipment, as in what the car left the factory with
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yes, it would be great to find a black carpet that fits my 3B...

Comment

Working...
                      X