X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2/S2/Audi 80 Avant headliner removal DIY

Ciao all.

Usual issue that almost everyone knows the headlining cloth/fabric falling down.
    You need to take the headlining out of the car.
    As it has been stated many times already if you have a sunroof the task it's easier and doable, so far everyone even the guru of the forum like our friend Saltinot had said that if you have an Audi 80 Avant without sunroof you'll easily end up with a broken headliner support due to the amount of glue used by Audi employees in the 90s (I believe the Audi workers had at the time some under the table benefits frome the glue supplier ) this it's definetely true if you don't take the necessary care/procedure and patience.. Patience..... LOt of it... buckets... pallets loads of.... patience.

I did took out mine yesterday and I manage to take the thing out from the car pretty much without damage I then would like to share my positive experience to help everyone that will go for the task in the future.

Here we go:

What will I encounter...

You can be lucky or (as per my case) very unlucky.
    If you're lucky you can find that your 80 was made the day that the Audi workers were running out of glue and your headliner will be glued to the metal roof just with a small amount of glue on the perimeter of it's rised section like this one from Horvath (hotibi here in the forum) an Hungarian chap that is being very helpful many thanks to him and credit for the photos.

So you're a lucky chap.... your metal roof will then look like this:

Ok let's see the darker side (you're a sad bast**d) new batch of glue delivered to the Audi/Porsche premises and employees enjoied the copious availablity and also played with the air powered glue dispenser...
    This is what you'll end up with:

Your metal side:

Then the removing procedure

Be patient don't rush don't get nervous sit down and wait before you end up with a folded/broken headliner support that it's NLA.

1)I'm not telling you how you take off all the pillars covers sunvisors light holders etc etc it's been covered in this forum plenty of times if you can't work this out by yourself just leave the thing alone or go to a professionist just one thing to be very careful with the cover clips of the screws in the sun visors they do break easy.

2) Do not (!) attempt to do this job in a season different from an hot summer it helps a lot to park the car under a hot sun for few hours. or an hot gun with the possibility to exactly fix the temperature (80° celsius at most) can also be of help on from the outside of the metal roof.

3) Start from the back/boot side, as other had already said (i.e. Skull) do not attempt to work from the front or from (not yet) the sides.

4) get yourself a couple of cans of a good adhesive removal (Saltinot says 3M it's best and I trust him) and use it freely!

5) Cover/protect the inside of your car

6) Skull teaches again....If your cloth it's not completely down DO NOT take it off whilst in the car instead stick it up as best as you can with some tape so that the terrible orange agent (cit.) foam stays inside the thing as long as possible it sticks and it's nasty very nasty.

7) prepare a riser/support to hold the back part of the headliner (I used a two steps ladder and some rugs)

8) Make yourself a couple of the "miracle"custom tools.

Alright there's nothing special, nor unique in this how to, what got me to finally get the part coming out were this "miracle" tools.
    You will assume as I did that you need long scrapers possibly joined to a broom stick to get deeply inside the two joined parts to gently separate them from each other.
    The problem is that you can developed the best long scraper of the world but still the two parts are so different (metal vs pressed fiber/cardboard) that the weak one get to suffer mechanically from your efforts resulting in a collapsed broken cutted headliner also because with a metal scraper on top of a long handle you can't have any feedback of which direction you're "digging", up or down, also metal will cut trough your pressed fiber/cardboard headliner in terms of seconds if your scraper goes down....
    By chance and just by chance the friend ( a professional of automotive electrical/dashboard/hi fi system) that helped me in the task had some cut outs remains from the window glazing people that worked in his premises fitting new windows, PVC windows.

Two strips of PVC, tickness in the area of 4/5mm, length 1.70 mt one large 12/14cm the other 7 cm.
    Very useful perfect for the job material, flexible but still very reliable and strong enough when pushed between the two materials coupled together.
    If you can, get them long 2 meters instead of 170 like mine.

Using a grinder get a single side wedge on one of the edges like this:

As you can see the back of the metal roof has some "less" glue so start to make your way trough from there gently with your hands don't try to get a wide opening, don't try to "have look on how it looks down there...." all of us know what I mean... curiosity killed the cat remember!
    So when you can get the PVC tool inside use that and wait when you have the thing out for a display of the underneath...

Once you have room enough start to push the larger "miracle" tool from the boot area toward and trough the front, VERY important, remember to push the wedge with the longer part facing UP so that the force its against th metal roof and NOT on the fiber headliner.
    The best it's to get somebody to push and gently wiggle left and right the PVC tool and another person on his back to litterally feel by hand the tool making it's way between the two parts, the separation from the two it's audible, push and stop, wait half a minute (remember? patience!) let the wedge work trough with it's own thickness to separate the two parts, somewhere it will go better then others but eventually you'll get trough.
    Take it out clean it and spray more adhesive remover, use plenty to clean it.

We found a pretty strong patch over the driver side (left) so eventually when we had room from the passenger side already loose, and so, well open we push the 7 cm wedge from the front passenger side, I'm confident that if you can get a longer PVC strip/blade (2.0 mts) you don't need to get trough the side.

The process will take up to one/one an half hours, take your time.
    When your pulling out the wedge remember to use the adhesive cleaner on your tool, clean it from the glue that get stick on it and before pushing it back in spray again some of the product on the first 20/30 cms to gain some chemical help and to lubricate the tool.
    Do your runs side by side as deep as 40/50cm do not attempt to go trough all the way, patience!
    If you find a tougher point leave it and work on it's side/sides, do not push madly, the secret it's to get the thickness of the blade and it's wedge to do the separation.
    Once you get the headliner free/loose close to the rear passengers lights start to support it from the back:

Close the gap that you can see between the ladder and the headliner with any soft material i.e. rugs polistyrene etc

This supporting will avoid this:

There should be no glue on the front part:

So eventually you'll get the headliner to drop down support it by the front headrests and the back support (ladder) if it comes that you have a side that it's dropping and the other stays use the headrest and take advantage of the up/down seat motor to close the gap so that you want put stress/leverage on the headliner

The only damage that I got apart from the little cracks on the lights recess was this:

It's been repaired already (it's not a separated crack anyway) with some fiberglass net and epoxy resin.

I'm pretty sure that if I do another one I could get it done without any damage.

Feel free to ask any question or further detail.

Stefano
    Last edited by veneto rs2; 3 August 2014, 16:34. Reason: adjustments
    http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Nice work. I am jealous of your lack of sunroof

I really like the pvc long blade. Nice thinking.

What glue are you going to use on the fabric to the liner,and what glue are you going to use on the headliner to roof?

It took me 3 evenings to clear the old foam from my headliner
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I envy you because of the sunroof!
      Another friend had this job done on a RS2 with sunroof and to take it off the headliner was a walk in the park in terms of glue quantity...

The liner job would be done by a professional upholstery shop I will supply the fabric (antrazit black with 3mm back foam) that i bought for 50 euros (3x1,50mts) he will charge me 130 euros for labour and glue.

Glue between roof and headliner...

I'm tempted to use no glue at all, Horvath the hungarian guy will go that way.
      But perhaps by seeing a 2001 RS6 headliner removal I rather go for velcro lines and stck them to roof and headliner with an hot temp glue (to be applied by brush) supplied by the company that sold me the fabric.

In all honesty if the thing needs to come out again..... been there done that but.... Not again!

Comment

That's a good idea with the velcro. And that's a good deal to recover the headliner, as it cost me €50 in glue
        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Very nice job and good report ;-)

Comment

I agree superb job and write up.The level of description and photos will make it possible for all of us who own the avant with the same headlining problem that seams to afflict so many of our cars.Mine is fine at the moment but if i need to do this i will come back to this thread knowing a lot more about it through what you have posted here.Superb!
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Great write up Stefano. I think your how to guide is worthy of being made a "sticky", not too sticky mind you.

Comment

Just taken my headlining out and thank goodness my RS2 has a sunroof! Still lots of glue but nowhere near that amount! I used a big (1m) Perspex ruler to tease it down.
                Sent mine off to a trimmer as I re-trimmed my Lancia's and was never happy with the results.
                Fitting it back it looks fun as I will need as many arms as an octopus..........
                Also fitted a Kinetic DAB aerial whilst everything was out so I can listen to anything but Radio 1 & 2 ( for non Brits these are awful UK radio stations!)

Comment

Originally posted by hotibi View Post
                  Very nice job and good report ;-)
                  Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                  I agree superb job and write up.The level of description and photos will make it possible for all of us who own the avant with the same headlining problem that seams to afflict so many of our cars.Mine is fine at the moment but if i need to do this i will come back to this thread knowing a lot more about it through what you have posted here.Superb!
                  Thanks guys, this community helped me so many times that I'm just happy to do something in return!

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                  Great write up Stefano. I think your how to guide is worthy of being made a "sticky", not too sticky mind you.
                  Nuvo!
                  As stated by somebody here (can't remember who..) that orange stuff steaks like s**t on a blanket!

Comment

Given the profusion of glue, only fair to make this a 'sticky'

Great write up and i have this fun to complete on the headlining of my coupe, however I'm glad I dont have an RS2 given the fun of this job!

David
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Right, mine is in and there are quite a few pitfalls and I have fallen for the lot! I will upload these and a few piccies later as the kids are dragging me off to Cattle Country -deep joy!

Comment

Veg,

Watching with interest as I will be tackling this very project this weekend !!!

Can you PM me with the costs you were charged for the retrim, I have been quoted a number which I think is high but it might be due to the material (alcantara)

Did you get the pillar trims redone too, I am considering the A, B C and D pillars to make it look the business......

Thanks

PAUL

Comment

Price was £180 and I just had a very dark grey lining. The big thing on removing the headlining is these are old cars and the pilar trims etc shatter rather than flex (the D pillars are in a million pieces now!) plus the front headlining roof switch has a metal insert which came away with the plastic insert and broke its tabs. Luckily I have replacements. You will also need to remove the sill strips and B pillars to get it out plus the luggage bay side panels for the C pillars. Not difficult but definitely a 1000 piece jigsaw moment!
                          The big thing on refitting is to ensure the headlining is fully forward as the sunroof has a metal surround that clips to the headlining. I put mine in to find I was 3 mm too short and had to prize the glue off again which was nerve racking to say the least. Oh and the high temperature glue bonds in seconds! In hindsight I would put the headlining in and secure to the sunroof then spray on the glue.
                          Lastly the sunroof has two pegs at the front that the trim clips to ( there is a good article on the forum about this) and these need up clipping then the sunroof trim removing from outside when the sunroof is in tilt mode. Again putting back in is tricky and needs the patience of a saint plus a few beers!

Comment

Originally posted by Veg View Post
                            Price was £180 and I just had a very dark grey lining.
                            Lastly the sunroof has two pegs at the front that the trim clips to ( there is a good article on the forum about this) and these need up clipping then the sunroof trim removing from outside when the sunroof is in tilt mode. Again putting back in is tricky and needs the patience of a saint plus a few beers!
                            Can you post up that article you mentioned above? Cheers.
                            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                            96 URS6 plus speck estate
                            94 2.6 80 Avant
                            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Will do but still haven't finished as the big thing is patience as it is a sod!

Comment

Working...
                              X