Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 steering wheel problem

Hello
    I have an issue with my RS2 related to the steering wheel and dip switch and I don't know how to solve it....

My car is a R chassis, construction end June 1994 and originally it mounted the 4-spoke steering wheel with Airbag code 4A0419091C and positioner 4A1951543.

I now want to replace the old steering wheel with the newest 3-spoke airbag, specific for later chassis with positioner 4D0951543D.
    The problem is the dip switch: the original is not good because the center hole is small compared to the positioner size and the steering wheel does not rotate properly.
    I tried to retrieve a light switch of a S6: the steering wheel turns fine but I cannnot fix the dip switch to the steering column because the hole is too big....
    You can not reverse the positioning rings because they are very different .....

In summary has someone with oldest RS2 with 4-spoke steering wheel mounted the 3-spoke steering wheel (both with airbag)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Cheers

Fabrizio

Steering wheel clocksprings

4D0951543D is called the "cancelling ring with slip ring". Sometimes it is called the "clockspring" because of the spiral spring inside it. 4D0951543D is the correct match for the RS2 3 spoke sport airbag steering wheel. That's the good news.

The bad(ish) news is I think you need to find the proper larger column covers (Items 5 and 6 below). The "clockspring" is held in place by the column covers. The ones that came with your 4 spoke airbag steering wheel are too small for the 543D clockspring.

At least that is the issue when the Sport steering wheel is added to the C4 UrS4 or early UrS6s, as documented here: http://12v.org/urs/UrS4SportSteeringWheelConversion.pdf

Attached Files
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks for the answer!
      My biggest problem is that the item n.2 in the picture (the switch for turn signals, lights etc) that suits the 3-spoke steering wheel does not fit with the steering column: it is not possible to fix it to the steering column because the hole is too large..

I suspect that the steering column changes between 1994 RS2s and the later ones.

Comment

Originally posted by enneeffe View Post
        Thanks for the answer! My biggest problem is that the item n.2 in the picture (the switch for turn signals, lights etc) that suits the 3-spoke steering wheel does not fit with the steering column: it is not possible to fix it to the steering column because the hole is too large.. I suspect that the steering column changes between 1994 RS2s and the later ones.
        Ah ha!! Now I understand (I think ) what you meant by "dip", as in light switch with high/low beam settings etc.

So now I have to ask questions:

1. From what car are you getting the 3 spoke sport steering wheel?

2. From what car did the switches that don't fit on your steering column come from?

I know there are issues with UrS4s and UrS6s such that UrS6 switches do not fit on the UrS4 steering column without a metal bushing. It might be the same situation for you but I can only help you with answeres to the two questions above.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Oops sorry, sometimes I make mistakes in defining the exact parts of the car...

My car is a RS2 with chassis R built end June 2004 and the steering wheel is new.
          The local Audi dealer is saying that my car cannot mount the 3-spoke steering wheel, since it is fine for the cars built starting from 1995.
          I've checked the ETKA codes and the steering column changes fron chassis S on....

But this seems very strange to me.

Comment

It is for sure possible to mount a newer type 3 spoke steering wheel into an R code RS2. I did do that 2 years ago because the contact spring for the airbag had developed a fault and I could not get a new one.

What you need to do is convert the steering column from the small diameter version of the older RS2's into a newer thicker column used on the newer RS2's and Audi A4 B5. Audi even sells a converter piece (8A0 419 787 B) that you can slide onto your steering column to have the proper diameter for the facelift parts.

In short, you need this adapter, the newer upper and lower trim panels of the steering column (8A1 953 515 and 8A1 953 516), a new set of switches for the lights and wipers (4D0 953 513A 01C and 8D9 953 503A 01C) and a new steering wheel and airbag spring. Last but not least, you need to adapt the wiring of the switches slightly because these deviate from between the old and new one. Also the horn attaches differently to the car loom. I chose to adapt the car loom such that now, a standard new wheel can be mounted without modifications to the wheel connections). The details are described in the guide I attached, that I also used. I hope this helps you, as it is in German.

I included picture of before and after as well. I used a steering wheel from a cabriolet with new leather on it. Quite a difference in appearance and also in driving.
            Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks a lot!!

Comment

You're welcome. That's what we're here for. If you run into issues, just let me know. I can post more details if you need those.

Comment

That's a long list of items you need to replace. I didn't realize the diameter of the steering column was different.

We have similar issues with earlier urS4 and converting the 4-spoke wheel to a 3-spoke Sport airbag wheel. The issue on those cars has to do more with the canceling ring on the wheel. I don't know if that will be a common issue, but you can find out more info here. You may not need all those parts, but instead may just need to do some sort of "fix", but I'm not 100%. I know no one in the urS4 community has had to replace the blinker stalks or anything like that.

I know for a fact the urS6 airbag unit is identical to those found on the later RS2, and I'd also assume the steering wheel is the same too (possibly just needing the adapter ring that was mentioned earlier). So, you may be able to source some of these parts used and save some real $$$. I just sold a Sport airbag wheel and airbag for $200USD.

See link for additional info...
                  http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20396.phtml
                  Last edited by c4S6; 7 March 2015, 23:27.

Comment

Also throwing in a picture of a standard C4 A6/S6 steering column and stalks setup. These might work if you can cross reference the sizes.

Comment

That's an interesting approach for the S6. The difference in diameter of the steering column and the fact that the trims are so much different creates all these fitting issues. The stalks can sometimes be found second hand. However as the RS2 was a pretty full option car, you often miss the cruise control and BC controls on them. These switches is what make it expensive (when bought new), aside from a refurbished steering wheel. The trim panels, the adapter and the connector housings are not that expensive.

However, all in all, I paid only slightly more then buying a new airbag spring from Audi if it had been available (520 euros...).

Comment

Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                        That's an interesting approach for the S6. The difference in diameter of the steering column and the fact that the trims are so much different creates all these fitting issues. The stalks can sometimes be found second hand. However as the RS2 was a pretty full option car, you often miss the cruise control and BC controls on them. These switches is what make it expensive (when bought new), aside from a refurbished steering wheel. The trim panels, the adapter and the connector housings are not that expensive.

However, all in all, I paid only slightly more then buying a new airbag spring from Audi if it had been available (520 euros...).
                        Good point Arnout.

To say more on this issue about the airbag spring and stalks.

Stalks:
                        it's possible to dismantle the BC and Cruise controls/buttons and their short looms from the stalks and fix them back on non BC/Cruise one
                        the solution it's useful if you have a narrower set of stalks and a basic larger later B4 set, I have done this in my Cabriolet and it's a bit fiddle but doable, more I'm sure it's been covered already in the forum somewhere.

Airbag spring:
                        #4D0951543D It's easy to find in the scrapyards because it's been used plenty on the A4B5.
                        After I broke mine on the RS2 I got three of them myself, the only issue you may encounter ont the B5s springs it's the loose plug the goes underneath the coulmn covers, easy to change if different.
                        http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Arnout,

Do do you know if switch 4D0 953 513C 01C is also suitable?
                          Can’t find switch 4D0 953 513A 01C anywhere, but I don’t really see the difference between those two.

Cheers,

Ad

Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                          It is for sure possible to mount a newer type 3 spoke steering wheel into an R code RS2. I did do that 2 years ago because the contact spring for the airbag had developed a fault and I could not get a new one.

What you need to do is convert the steering column from the small diameter version of the older RS2's into a newer thicker column used on the newer RS2's and Audi A4 B5. Audi even sells a converter piece (8A0 419 787 B) that you can slide onto your steering column to have the proper diameter for the facelift parts.

In short, you need this adapter, the newer upper and lower trim panels of the steering column (8A1 953 515 and 8A1 953 516), a new set of switches for the lights and wipers (4D0 953 513A 01C and 8D9 953 503A 01C) and a new steering wheel and airbag spring. Last but not least, you need to adapt the wiring of the switches slightly because these deviate from between the old and new one. Also the horn attaches differently to the car loom. I chose to adapt the car loom such that now, a standard new wheel can be mounted without modifications to the wheel connections). The details are described in the guide I attached, that I also used. I hope this helps you, as it is in German.

I included picture of before and after as well. I used a steering wheel from a cabriolet with new leather on it. Quite a difference in appearance and also in driving.

Comment

Working...
                          X