Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seatbelt Replacement Procon-Ten (Audi 80 B4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatbelt Replacement Procon-Ten (Audi 80 B4)

Has anyone ever tried replacing the seatbelt on a Procon-Ten system? I couldn't find any YouTube links for this. The replacement seatbelt I have is supplied with all the required cables. I think I need to remove the B pillar trim and the trim on the inner sills. I believe one end of the cable attaches to the gearbox, so I would assume I'll need to get underneath the car. Any help appreciated.

No need to get underneath. Remove the internal trim that runs along the top of the sill and B pillar trim. You will see the cable next to the drivers seat in a plastic cover, from memory you remove a screw and the cable will split there

How is the old girl?

Comment

Thanks - Shaun! I was hoping you would reply.

The car has been perfect, I replaced the front disks and pads and that made a big difference. I am thinking about having a respray on her upto window level including the bonnet, she will look like new then!

I had her up on a lift recently at a mate's garage and she is in super condition from below.

I do love the 5 pot engines

Comment

I can snap some pics on my ABY if you like, to give you a bit of a heads-up on what required. Its all in bits currently
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Accessing the ProConTen seat belt Bowden cable

Originally posted by DeanG View Post
          Has anyone ever tried replacing the seatbelt on a Procon-Ten system? I couldn't find any YouTube links for this. The replacement seatbelt I have is supplied with all the required cables. I think I need to remove the B pillar trim and the trim on the inner sills. I believe one end of the cable attaches to the gearbox, so I would assume I'll need to get underneath the car. Any help appreciated.
          Removal of the B-pillar on a B4to access the seat belt is likely similar to a C4. Here is a write up I did for C4s:

B-Pillar cover removal:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/306667.phtml

Once you have the B-pillar cover off, you can remove the seat belt reel, etc. Note: to access the connection between the seat belt Bowden cable and the ProConTen Bowden cable, you might have to lift some carpet.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks guys. Job for the weekend not today!

Comment

Important thing to remember when removing the B-pillar trim is to SLIDE it downwards after you unscrew the 2 philips screws at the bottom. I forgot this detail and I managed to break the top of the 2 tabs that slide into slots in the pillar.

Comment

Thanks for all your help chaps, new seat belt all fitted and working. The only tricky bit was getting the procon-ten cable connected. The old seat belt wasn't a procon-ten seat belt and there just didn't appear to be enough cable length for the new one. One needs to undo the screw at the front of the steel sleeve as well, in order to move the steel sleeve forwards and then the connection was possible.

Comment

I think Procon-Ten is useless so i have removed it, seat belts replaced with the ones from A4B5, hole from procon-ten cable used for widebend, EGT and some other wires for VEMS
                  Attached Files

Comment

sailaz I assume the B5 have pre tensioning built into the seat belt assembly? I was having a quick look around as its a job in my list since the drivers seat belt is a bit lazy returning
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

cut my procon cables off the seatbelt reel just yesterday..
                      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                        sailaz I assume the B5 have pre tensioning built into the seat belt assembly?
                        Yes, the same principle as in B4

Comment

Originally posted by sailaz View Post
                          Yes, the same principle as in B4
                          How is it the same principle?
                          B4 has seat belt pretension with procon cables and is a fully mechanical device.
                          B5 has pyrotechnic pretension.
                          If you didn't use all the wiring and modules from B5, then you have no pre tensioning.

pyrotechnic seat belt pretension

procon

Last edited by M2ki; 23 May 2018, 20:06.
                          1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Late model Coupes and Cabrios also has pyrotechnic tensioners. Haven't looked into late model saloons and avants, might also be the same, at least there's place for igniters in chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post

How is it the same principle?
                              B4 has seat belt pretension with procon cables and is a fully mechanical device.
                              B5 has pyrotechnic pretension.
                              If you didn't use all the wiring and modules from B5, then you have no pre tensioning.

pyrotechnic seat belt pretension

procon

Thanks for sharing
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X