aaarghhh.....headcloth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 week old Vizsla bitch

She is still getting used to car journeys, she does not like being by herself.
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
      8 week old Vizsla bitch

She is still getting used to car journeys, she does not like being by herself.
      Nice pup......and as mad as a box of frogs at that age!

Comment

Aye, totally nuts, or trying to sleep on top of me

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

All covered now and back in the car although I still have the sunroof cover bit to clip back on.....it was awkward enough getting it un-clipped from the sunroof, I fear it'll be a right pain in the **** getting it re-secured?
          The job is far from perfect but it's not like you're constantly looking at the headcloth when driving, when I look in the rear-view mirror now at least there's a clear view out the back window!

Mid re-trim.
          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Nice, any pics of the finished article.

Did you run into any trouble, and how did you get the glue off?
            Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
              All covered now and back in the car although I still have the sunroof cover bit to clip back on.....it was awkward enough getting it un-clipped from the sunroof, I fear it'll be a right pain in the **** getting it re-secured?
              From Bentley Vol3 U60-6 and experience:

The steel sunroof cloth-covered liner panel is held to the sunroof by two clips at the front and two guides on the sides (near the back.

Open the sunroof about 10 cm (4 inches).

Locate the clips at the front edge of the steel sunroof. Spread the clips and nudge the sunroof panel back a bit, so the pins on the sunroof panel clear the clips. Bentley says use adhesive tape on the clips so they cannot regage with the pins on the sunroof panel.

Then close the sunroof and put into the full tilt position. Then slide the headliner "forward" (which I think is a mistake - should be rearward.)

Press the panel over the water channel and remove from the sunroof opening from the rear (e.g. standing on the passenger or driver's door sill).

Installation is the reverse of removal but you need to pay attention to the two side channel/clips that hold the sides of the panel. Complete the installation by re-engaging the pins into the clips.

HTH

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                Nice, any pics of the finished article.
                Did you run into any trouble, and how did you get the glue off?
                I got the remaining glue and foam off by rubbing it off with my fingers(rubber gloves on!). I was then left with the bare board, which was a bit sticky, very unsure at this stage about using anything too strong as I didn't want to use anything which might warp/melt it?!.............so I rubbed it down with a damp cloth after which time it was still sticky, so f**k it I sprayed on the glue and got on with it.
                The main area of the roof was fine to stick the material to but around the handles and light units wasn't so easy......in fact when I do the job again on my coupe I'll be taking the board and cloth to my local coach-trimmer to do.

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                Installation is the reverse of removal........
                That old chestnut!

Comment

Looking not too bad.

Comment

awesome
                    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                      awesome
                      Cheers, don't look too close!
                      Just the sunroof panel to get back on.

Comment

Aha! just caught up with your thread John. Looks like the suede isn't as pliable/workable as you'd like, would that be fair to say? Maybe something with 4 way stretch would be easier around the tricky bits?
                        Good work by the way. I was hoping to find a complete headliner from a late coupe here in Finland but think I'm going to end up doing the same as you
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        1990 CQ20v
                        2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Nj View Post
                          Aha! just caught up with your thread John. Looks like the suede isn't as pliable/workable as you'd like, would that be fair to say? Maybe something with 4 way stretch would be easier around the tricky bits?
                          Good work by the way. I was hoping to find a complete headliner from a late coupe here in Finland but think I'm going to end up doing the same as you
                          Noel, yes there's a definite knack to working with the stuff, but I didn't master it!
                          Compared to a sagging cloth it's a massive improvement.

Comment

Aye I'm sure there is. At this point I think cardboard would be an improvement for me. I may be a loony but i'm genuinely tempted to put a couple of yards of Black Watch up there and see if anybody notices

I don't want to do the headlining until I find a set of dark plastics and sun visors to be honest. But it's proving difficult to find them in Finland. Maybe I just need to find someone in the UK who will look for a long, thin box and post me a set.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            1990 CQ20v
                            2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

I personally think the tartan idea is great, still have my coupe's headcloth to attend to so.........

Comment

Looks good John, I would be well happy with that, I would just never start that kind of job.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X