X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo cauge fix.

Hello,

I tried to fix my S2 cluster.
    The speedo needle doesnt work and if i knock to speedo then needle will be alive again. It must be faulty motherboard?

Ohter problem is that i managed to broke S2 Needle and just now i put 220km/h speedo.
    How i can fix S2 speedo? what gives the speedimeter his signal? I have spare VDO block and can take there the needle but its with motor.
    Where speedometer takes right speed? From motor with needle or there is little motherboard with odometer motor. Maybe signal comes from there?

Difference is somewhere in that little circuit board right behind speedometer. I broke my speedometer needle too and what I did is I took speedometer form VDO cluster with 260km/h scale (S2 has 280) and used S2 faceplate on it. They reads the same up to ~140 km/h and after that I'd be in deep sh** anyway if I get caught so don't care much about it

Comment

If it is an early board I would take apart and check for dry solder joints
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Difference is somewhere in that little circuit board right behind speedometer. I broke my speedometer needle too and what I did is I took speedometer form VDO cluster with 260km/h scale (S2 has 280) and used S2 faceplate on it. They reads the same up to ~140 km/h and after that I'd be in deep sh** anyway if I get caught so don't care much about it
        If that little board attached to speedo is giving right speed to speedometer then i can take it from s2 and attach two wires to 220km/h speedo. But if correct speed comes from needle and magnetics attached to it then its problem.

The 260km/h VDOspeedo is then the option..

If it is an early board I would take apart and check for dry solder joints
        Its VDO board and from S2 3b.
        It must be cold joints,yes!?
        No in winter the speedo doesnt to anything but when i ride and car will get hot then the speedo will go alive again.
        In board there are 4 or 5 connectors what will connect board and the speedo. In forums and understand that those are the problems but cleaning didint help.
        I looked also joints but i cant see any problems..

Comment

There are connecting pins on the cluster pcb that pass through other boards and the connectors use tin plated contacts, not gold plated. I posted on another thread about this, but you need to strip down the cluster and clean the pins. Here's the thread, post #10:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82976

Chris

Comment

You means pins that are on pic. 13?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...-fault-and-fix

I have taken cluster apart now for 5 time and cleaned again those pins. I havent put any silicon to pins.If i clean them then they must go alive?
            And if cold makes also to speedo kill then it must bed bad joints?

Comment

Working...
            X