Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing dashboard in UrS4

Ok guys,

My running theme of going to town on the UrS4 has lead me down the path of a full interior refit from platinum to black.

- Got the seats
    - Door cards done at the weekend

Black dashboard and centre console are currently on the way! What have I done? Is this going to be a huge task?

Searched online but not found much info on removing it. Anyone have any tips to make life a bit easier?

Also would it make sense to do the heater core and blower motor at the same time? If it only saves an hour or so of labour I don't mind doing the heater box refurbishment in the summer.

You could do the heater box and refurb the heater sealing foam at the same time but it's not necessary at the same time imho, you you can do that later. But it would make sense to do it at the same time if you were changing the carpet to.

The dash job is relatively easy if a little time consuming. The only thing you will struggle with is the last nut you will find hard to locate that needs undoing to enable removal on cars fitted with passenger airbags. It's a long thin bolt that goes from the passenger airbag side (uk car) other side for Euro cars, right through the baulhead and terminates just the other side. You'll need to remove the rain shroud to locate this nut and look right under the lip there to the baulked to locate this nut. Once removed, as it's the only nut you will not naturally locate, the whole dash comes out.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
      You could do the heater box and refurb the heater sealing foam at the same time but it's not necessary at the same time imho, you you can do that later. But it would make sense to do it at the same time if you were changing the carpet to.

The dash job is relatively easy if a little time consuming. The only thing you will struggle with is the last nut you will find hard to locate that needs undoing to enable removal on cars fitted with passenger airbags. It's a long thin bolt that goes from the passenger airbag side (uk car) other side for Euro cars, right through the baulhead and terminates just the other side. You'll need to remove the rain shroud to locate this nut and look right under the lip there to the baulked to locate this nut. Once removed, as it's the only nut you will not naturally locate, the whole dash comes out.
      Cheers! That's just the kind of trick that would save me screwing about for hours more than needed. Really need to get a copy of elsawin up and running again!

Was thinking of replacing carpet, but depending on how it looks with the black interior I may just clean it and dye black.

Comment

Changing a carpet properly is a mahoosive job. Dash out heater box out been there done that 3 times now. But it's the only if you want it done properly.
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Much easier to do on a C4 than B4. If airbags then a bit more complex. Also, if it's the automatic climate control, it doesn't have the heater sealing foam issue manual heater has, I've taken mine apart to check it once.

Just go over all nuts and bolts you see around the dash.

Comment

Cheers guys, ive just bought a trim piece for the dash (the long one above glovebox)- its from a left hooker though - anyone know if it will fit the RHD dash? Looks the same but reversed, may have to drill some new holes though.

Luckily i'm non-airbag, auto climate so should have no issues there. Never removed a steering wheel so that could become interesting!

Bit of an afterthought - but this dash is from an A6 and it's going into a 100 S4, sure it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Guess I can always take bits from the other dash if required.

Comment

Just dropping by for a moment and saw your post.

1. Dash surrounds can be painted, e.g. black over the platinum bottom half. Much easier than removing it.

2. *IF* you insist on removing it, there is one hidden bolt up under the cowl that will make you crazy IF you didn't know about it:

Others:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks for that. I managed to get the dash for a very good price and it's just showed up at work! Heavy old thing. I can see the bolt in question on the donor dashboard - would never have thought to look for that in a million years!

Comment

This is the very nut/bolt i was on about earlier.

94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                  X