Door card refurbish-coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door card refurbish-coupe

Well finally i have to remove the material from the doors to refurbish as the dreaded orange backing has failed. To save buying new material from Audi Tradition i have scraped off the remaining foam and put the material though the washing machine- came up like new. Have now glued material to a 3mm closed cell backing with hi Temp Fast-fix adhesive. Now the problem. Have cleaned off the door card ready for refixing the foam backed material. The material of the door appears to upvc with a thin flexible covering. I suspect this is plasticised pvc as when i tried to stick a trial area with the hi-temp it did not want to stick. Directions on the hi-temp spray can say not suitable for heavily plasticised pvc or vinyl. So what adhesive have you all used to attach foam backed materials to the door cards?

I had exactly the same problem, I used a general purpose contact adhesive which worked fine.
    92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
    98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
    63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
    69 Austin Mini Cooper
    71 MGB GT
    75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
    04 Kawasaki GPX250
    96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Originally posted by k6kid View Post
      Well finally i have to remove the material from the doors to refurbish as the dreaded orange backing has failed. To save buying new material from Audi Tradition i have scraped off the remaining foam and put the material though the washing machine- came up like new. Have now glued material to a 3mm closed cell backing with hi Temp Fast-fix adhesive. Now the problem. Have cleaned off the door card ready for refixing the foam backed material. The material of the door appears to upvc with a thin flexible covering. I suspect this is plasticised pvc as when i tried to stick a trial area with the hi-temp it did not want to stick. Directions on the hi-temp spray can say not suitable for heavily plasticised pvc or vinyl. So what adhesive have you all used to attach foam backed materials to the door cards?
      You might find that thin membrane is the left over adhesive coating from the old foam.

I did min recently and I was lucky as one side I could peel it off the door card in one go, the driver s side where the elbow would have kept rubbing I had to pick off in atom side bits till I to to a sound area. Have a close look at an edge.

Have a look here and you can see the membrane.
      Wish Audi Tradition did my material, mine was bu&&ered and I had to re use it.

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ight=door+card

Cheers

David

I found that a good hd high temp glue was fine for sticking the foam on

Comment

Working...
      X