E85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85

I have been running Dmitri's AAN automatic chip set for years now and I am quite happy with it. However, I switched to E85 a few years ago and it would be wonderful if the chipset could be fine tuned for that, like ignition and cold start (not very essential, because I live in Bangkok). I use Bosch 440cc green tops on 3bar, because they are the closest I could find to the stock injectors. I know nothing about tuning Motronic. Only know how to tune VEMS.
    '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
    '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

For E85 you need +30-40% injection (depends on many variables and E85 quality). That should only be corrected on the injector duty level, injector constant for fuel consumption remains the same. Ignition should be adjusted with a dyno to mbt. Also you should check your boost/n75 maps and pid control to cope with the e85.

Bosch 440cc will be enough for nothing, they barely cope with stock/stage1 tune when running e85.

As for cold start. If you don't need reliable first start with seriously negative degC altitude temperature, but you accept 2 or 3 cranking, just go on and pump up the startup enrichment on the cold side. And anyways, pump up the crank enrichment. Make every single crank-start to ignite. That way you'll warm up the engine and it's easier to have the engine started with bad enrichment maps during next crank.

Comment

Originally posted by kymi View Post
      For E85 you need +30-40% injection (depends on many variables and E85 quality). That should only be corrected on the injector duty level, injector constant for fuel consumption remains the same. Ignition should be adjusted with a dyno to mbt. Also you should check your boost/n75 maps and pid control to cope with the e85.

Bosch 440cc will be enough for nothing, they barely cope with stock/stage1 tune when running e85.

As for cold start. If you don't need reliable first start with seriously negative degC altitude temperature, but you accept 2 or 3 cranking, just go on and pump up the startup enrichment on the cold side. And anyways, pump up the crank enrichment. Make every single crank-start to ignite. That way you'll warm up the engine and it's easier to have the engine started with bad enrichment maps during next crank.
      Well, E85 in Thailand is more like E73-75. I calculated from stock AAN injectors run at 4bar which is 323cc IIRC. 440/323 is 36% more, so safe range I think. I also cleaned and rebuilt the green tops a week ago. Will install WBO2 very soon to really see what is happening. Lowest temperature here is 16c, but usually more than 25c. Car is not run hard at all. My wife's daily.
      '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
      '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

For E85 you need +30-40% injection (depends on many variables and E85 quality). That should only be corrected on the injector duty level, injector constant for fuel consumption remains the same.
        I disagree. If you adjust injector constant you must also adjust the fuel consumption constant. They go hand in hand.
        Also you should check your boost/n75 maps and pid control to cope with the e85.
        Is not really important, unless you have more boost you can run, because there is barely any change in turbo control between E85 and normal gasoline. A little bit more DC required because the VE will improve and EGT go down, but nothing to worry about.

Anyway for cold climate E85 need to use an analog input and blending setup.
        For Thailand I think is ok to just tune for E85.
        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
          I disagree. If you adjust injector constant you must also adjust the fuel consumption constant. They go hand in hand.
          You're not altering injector properties (flow, tvub, pressure) when tuning from gasoline to E85. You're just adjusting injector pulse width to reach lambda 1. The fuel consumption is based on calculated ipw so it remains correct during the process.

Comment

You're not altering injector properties (flow, tvub, pressure) when tuning from gasoline to E85. You're just adjusting injector pulse width to reach lambda 1. The fuel consumption is based on calculated ipw so it remains correct during the process.
            Actually yes, in this case it is true, I was not thinking quite straight
            http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Working...
            X