Moates Ostrich and bluetooth connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moates Ostrich and bluetooth connectivity

Im starting another project today, i got 2 of the HC-05 modules off of ebay for my ostrich's to install into and test. i will post my findings and discoveries along with if these are successful a guide on how to install the bluetooth modules and configure your computer. i have added pictures of the bluetooth module i have chosen to work with and a picture of the bluetooth module headter on the ostrich main board.

so far the first issue i have found is the the TX and RX pins on the bluetooth module are flipped compared to what they are on the ostrich board so i will be unsoldering the header pins off of the bluetooth and using like strands of copper wire out of an ethernet cable to connect the bluetooth module to the ostrich. i will most likely hot glue the bluetooth module to the ostrich main board to keep it from moving or shorting out on any other hardware. i dont know how much of a toll this will take on the ostrich's battery but i guess i will find out in time. on the battery i had another thought since the battery is lithium ion to see if its possible to pull voltage from the chip header and charge the battery or even use power from the chip header to power the bluetooth module. bluetooth module requires 3.6v to 6v so if there's 5v at the chip than a jumper wire from the input header of the ostrich ribbon cable to the power pin on the bluetooth module could allow it to easily power the bluetooth module directly from the ECU.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    "The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

i did some testing with this bluetooth module and had negative results so far. i cannot get connectivity with tuner pro. i think there's a com port issue that i will have to resolve but it should work.

Comment

A serial connection can be more than just wiring Rx/Tx. There are some handshake lines which may be used (like DTR, DTS...). You should read the Ft232RL datasheet and have a look if any of this lines is used on the PCB.

Comment

Originally posted by -ice- View Post
        A serial connection can be more than just wiring Rx/Tx. There are some handshake lines which may be used (like DTR, DTS...). You should read the Ft232RL datasheet and have a look if any of this lines is used on the PCB.
        i will have to look at that chip, thank you. havnt had time to work on this part specifically lately but i will be working on it more over the weekend.

Comment

well the HC-05 bluetooth module works with the ostrich! any bluetooth module will work as long as it supports 921600 baud rate. i will write up a PDF on how to convert one to bluetooth with pictures and such when i mod my second ostrich. basically you have to change the baud rate in the bluetooth module from 9600 to 921600. to program the module you need TTL 232R 3V3 cable from FTDI or something like it. i used the FTDI cable. you download a terminal program like Tera Term. its free open source. you can set your modules name too while your in there, i made mine to boradcast as ostrich 1, i also changed the password on it too so no one else can get into it. but i hope this quick explanation helps till i write up how to install it more in depth.

I also added a battery holder from an old PC motherboard because the original battery is not easily removable if you have to replace it.

27591158_10155099006551771_2055471651_n.jpg

Comment

Nice.

If i get time I will make a 8 bit emulator with bluetooth on board the size of the DIP28 chip.
            With today's technology this is very much possible. Ostrich is a 90's design.
            http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
              Nice.

If i get time I will make a 8 bit emulator with bluetooth on board the size of the DIP28 chip.
              With today's technology this is very much possible. Ostrich is a 90's design.
              that will be really cool! i had an idea about some sort of controller that was a dual emulator for the motronic. how it would work is the motor and boost BIN's would be stacked into one file and used in tuner pro but once the file was sent to the ECU the main emulator controller knew to split the large bin in half and send them to their proper sides of the ECU. i got that idea from how the nismotronic controllers work for the old S13 nissan ECU's. those ECU's have 2 chips although one is for low bits and the other is for high bits. both chips are combined and edited in their software than once the data is sent to the controller in the ECU the BIN is split in half to low and high so the ECU can read it. just an idea.

Comment

Some time ago, there was this EFI RIP CHIP. They did it quite well. It was just a small PCB in DIL size which could be flash programmed over USB. I don't know but it's not sold anymore.

Ostrich is reliable...but on the other hand not very good available here in Germany.

Daniel

Comment

Some time ago, there was this EFI RIP CHIP. They did it quite well. It was just a small PCB in DIL size which could be flash programmed over USB. I don't know but it's not sold anymore.

Ostrich is reliable...but on the other hand not very good available here in Germany.

Daniel
                  i think 034 still makes the rip chip. i used one years ago and it was pretty neat but wasnt really a fan of it.

Comment

Ostrich is available via eBay or direct by Moates. Had no issues with ordering it.
                    The trace function is the most important for me. It’s worth every euro.

Comment

Daniel
                      It needs wires coming out of your ECU and it is not updateable while the engine is running.
                      Also a 90's design... It is possible to do a lot more with the chip sizes and speeds we got these days.

Comment

I never had one. I think it had a rotary switch to select different bin files. Yes it could not change the bin while running the car. As the manual said „for safetey and technical reasons“ - thats a big minus. But the form factor was good.
                        To connect a mirocontrollers UART with a serial bluetooth module thats the easiest part of the story. I think for realiszing this some dual-port ram (To hold actual bin) and a cpld/fpga to simulate the actual Eprom timing is necessarry. microcontroller feeds dual port Ram then.

Comment

Again thinking in 90's terms. It's 2018 guys.
                          You don't need dual port ram, fpga, cpld or anything like that at all.
                          You can do it in one single fast microcontroller with a reasonably fast clock speed and GPIO clock.

All you need to do is present data onto the port pins within 120ns of the read strobe - a 100mhz micro has time for 12 instructions.
                          A simple tight loop monitoring the status of CE, OE, ALE and acting accordingly is enough.
                          Yes, the micro won't be able to do much else, so you will need a supervisor micro over SPI with DMA to actually push new data, but that's not a big problem, since you need a separate micro for bluetooth anyway.

The entire solution can be done with 2 chips and a bluetooth chip antenna.

https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/pdffil...eet_27C512.pdf
                          You simply need to wait until CE and OE are low, then read A[0:15]+memory offset and write to D[0:8]. Datasheet shows delayed OE, but in reality this is not the case.

Comment

It could be done with microcontroller, yes. I‘m actually doing this with my Xram to USB interface. I’m running > 80 MHz i/o clock there.

if micro hangs once, eprom reading will fail. It‘s more unsafe especially when the micro has connections to the outer world.

Comment

This micro should not have connections to outer world.
                              The only thing it should have is SPI to 2nd micro that actually has connections to outside world.

The "hanging" part is ridiculous. It is more likely the 8051 "hangs" than the micro. Don't write **** code and it wont hang

Comment

Working...
                              X