SatNav+ in urS6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SatNav+ in urS6

never really been one to do much in the way of stereo's etc (all the noise I need is under the bonnet ) but I saw on Audiworld that some guy had got a double din slot Audi head unit satnav thingy to fit into his urS6.
    So, I'm giving it a go myself.

Just bought one of these
    Attached Files
    Corey
    01636 822288

to go in here like this one has been done.
    Attached Files
    Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

It's been done in an S2 as well infact the complete kit with the modded centre console went on ebay a while back.

I looked into it but have gone for a different route :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by Corey
        to go in here like this one has been done.

Thats been been very well done i'm impressed

Comment

That's neat! Was just trying to work out where they'd got the space from, but my eagle eye spotted that the climate control has been moved to where the ashtray once lived! Very nice.
          '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Yeah I'm looking foward to tackling this job, I will update as we move into it.

Plus who uses the cigar lighter and ashtray?
            Corey
            01636 822288

Comment

That centre console looks like it came out of the factory like that! Presume that it has a radio and can also control a CD-changer, etc? I'll add that to my list of things-to-do-to-the-S4-if-I-ever-get-round-to-it ...

Looks like it'd be one hell of a wiring job. Good excuse to fix that screen demister while you're in there though
              2005 Skoda Fabia vRS
              1993 100 S4 Saloon (resting)

Comment

Originally posted by andrewd
                Looks like it'd be one hell of a wiring job. Good excuse to fix that screen demister while you're in there though
                The wiring is quite straight forward (alledgedly ) and yes the servo's for the aircon are going to be replaced (rather than stripped and cleaned again ), I want another 200k miles from that aircon system with it working as it should.
                Corey
                01636 822288

Comment

Ok today was strip down and trial fittings.

I removed the old stereo (some nasty after market thingy) and the original wiring and plugs was still intact.
                  Well you could've knocked me down with a feather, the RNS-D unit plugged straight in to the original plugs and fired up
                  The plug for the speaker's requires a bit more thought though as for some reason it is only powering the front speaker's (despite the same plug working all 4 on the old stereo).
                  The RNS-D needs to receive a signal from each front ABS sensor and also the reversing light but other than that it was a virtual bolt in job
                  The housing for the original stereo uses the console as it's cage by moving the CC unit down to where the ashtray was (it has been deleted) has given a perfect double din slot (after cutting out 1 cross beam).
                  It seems a shame to mess up the housing for the sake of the mirror control remaining in place like in the image above so I am going to move that somewhere else
                  Attached Files
                  Corey
                  01636 822288

Comment

and then with all the lights on
                    Attached Files
                    Corey
                    01636 822288

Comment

The unit was able to determine where in the world it was, as soon as I got onto the road from work the map for Lincoln came up and it showed the route home but could'nt give directions as the car needs a few more wires.
                      But so far so good.
                      Corey
                      01636 822288

Comment

I'm liking that very much. Dare I ask how much it was and where did you buy it from?

Comment

I presume that you will then be adding the right audi 6cd player???? Looks damn good i must say, you got me thinking now.

iain

Comment

I want one

Yes please, I can see a certain S6 looking right with one of those
                            1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Purchased from good old ebay, this unit is the earlier RNS-D CD based unit which requires a CD for mapping, the later version RNS-E is the better unit but is harder to install (apparently).
                              Price, the unit cost me £200 although I have seen them go for as high as £400 but that is a bit much IMHO.
                              Yes the 6 disc CD is required for something other than radio, although the head unit is TV compatable with the correct Audi box.
                              Quattroboy, I thought you were selling that thing? or have I given it a new lease of life for you since the fluid change?
                              Corey
                              01636 822288

Comment

Working...
                              X