Audi Gamma wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi Gamma wiring

Very pleased to have got myself a Gamma head unit in good condition, works a treat and sounds better than the ageing Blaupunkt Frankfurt that came out. To my embarrassment though i now realize that the Gamma only has a 2x20w internal amplifier and i now only have front sound.

The 2 x 8 pin ISO connectors are still in my car's loom and got the unit up and running in a jiffy, i also have just found the 10 pin red ISO connector buried in my dashboard. That only has 3 wires in it and doesn't supply any sound to the rear.

From research on here and other sites i have identified almost all of the pins in the 10 pin connector, I think I just need to add some wires and mini 2 channel amplifier and i am up and running again.

From research, looking at pins in connector and labelled on the sticker:

HL + HR = line out for left and right rear speakers.

VL + VR = line out for left and right front speakers.

Earth symbol = ? is this a common earth for use with the line out signals? The head unit has its own earth in one of the other connectors.

ENA, DATA, CL = all involved in displaying information on the dashboard but i'm not sure my dashboard with retro fit autocheck will work. (These are the 3 wires connected in the plug).

NF-st = NOT SURE ON THIS ONE. Is this a switched live output for turning on amplifier if the car was fitted with the active rear speaker option mine hasn't got?

Can I please run my plan past the ICE experts on here to see if it is 'sound'?

HL and HR pins connect to the center terminal of a RCA/phone plug
    Earth symbol pin split and shared between the outer earth connections of RCA/phone plug.
    This will supply signal to the inputs on my amplifier.
    Use NF (if it is a switched 12V) to turn on the amp.
    Adjust level of amplifier gain to get the right amount of rear sound as there is no front / rear fade control on my Gamma.
    Turn it all down and enjoy sound of engine.

thankyou in advance for any news, ideas or experience on what you have done getting rear sound out of your Gammas!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

What you have posted looks right to me, I'll be doing the same soon too as I have just sourced a Gamma radio to fit too but don't have it just yet
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

ahhh jolly good! Is your new Gamma head unit going to come with instructions? (or maybe a UK wiring label)

I still would like to confirm that the NF wire is switched live. In really small letters it says 'ST' next to NF. google translate tells me German for switched is Geschaltet so I'm not sure it is an abbreviation. I also notice that in the top 8 pin ISO connector there is what looks like a normally open +V symbol that has a small A next to that. Candidate?

Comment

White wire which powers antenna is also used to switch on amplifiers for rear speakers.

Comment

nice one! thank you for that. It is good news because i have a white wire (in fact two coming out of the one ISO pin) and looking at the sticker on the radio, it is the normally open +V a pin. I shall get ordering some connectors!
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Does anybody already know how to make an aux input on this gamma, and keeping the tape function , I thought there was a topic about but didn't find it.

Comment

I haven’t looked into it yet, you could use an fm modulator if you don’t want to modify wiring http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Blueto.../252450366011?
              Greg

Comment

I already tried it but the sound was not of good quality

Comment

For Greg and anyone else about to fit a gamma.

the plan worked a treat and I now have all speakers up and running.

VL and VR and the earth symbol concerted to an RCA/phono lead and the white wire to switch on the amp. Job done. The hardest bit was finding a place for the amp.

Comment

Because i am liking my car at the moment i have just been out for a drive on some favorite roads for no reason other than just because and why not, now i have a new radio in and working.

I'm loving the illumination matching my switches and to my surprise the Autocheck sprang into life and was displaying radio information! I am not sure why i need to be reminded what channel i have tuned into but it is nice that it works!

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Great result. What did you need to change with the wiring to get it all working?
                      Greg

Comment

ENA DATA and CL were connected in the 10 pin red plug in my car, I added pins into that plug for the line out to the amp and that was it. I'm afraid I can't really give you a how to guide as, luckily for me it just worked! If you have found a red plug in your loom and have the autocheck' you might find the same. I fitted the auto check as my cq20v didn't have it as a factory option. Clearly, Audi make looms to accommodate options, makes me wonder what else I can fit!

Comment

On my S2 I would have had to run the power wires to the back doors, instead what I did, I used the power from the power window switches to run the speaker amps.
                          The only issue is when I turn off the rear windows (child lock) I loose the rear speakers, otherwise works great.
                          Love the Gamma, excellent radio
                          www.quattro.ca
                          B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                          B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Any particular amp you would recommend for the rear speakers?
                            Greg

Comment

I used the stock speakers with built in amp from a North American B4, they all had them.
                              www.quattro.ca
                              B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                              B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X