Audi S2 Coupe original 1996 speaker wire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2 Coupe original 1996 speaker wire size

Having just removed my front and rear speakers (Originals) I see they are falling to bits and need replacing. I have not removed the tweeter yet as I cannot see how to get the trim off. (A little bit of advice on how to remove the trim if you have some will be of great help)

Also my head unit also beyond its sell by date so I am going to replace the head unit.

I am basically replacing what the car came with standard from the factory but using 2019 parts. Hope to improve the sound quality etc.

While doing the upgrade is it advisable to replace the wiring or will the original wire size ok.

I have the ACTIVE speakers on the rear

The car has a 5-pin plug on main rear speaker with a 2-pin connector that goes to the tweeter.

Pinout on the 5 pin connector are as follows

1 +12V permanent supply (fused by S4 - same as radio)
    2 Audio input +ve
    3 Audio input -ve
    4 connects to warning buzzer (J152) if radio (or lights) on with key removed & door open
    5 0V earth.

The two wires I am concerned about are on pins 2 and 3 the rest will not be used any more.

Thanks

Steve

The rear tweeters have a piece of plastic underneath that is twist off and then the tweeter lifts out from above.
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I saw that it is held on via a screw thread but I am looking to take the complete trim off.

Would not like to break the trim.

Comment

If I recall there are a few screws hidden here and there..take your time and you will get there.
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Had a good nights sleep.

This morning I started again.

I removed the little rubber trim that covers the seat belt and hidden underneath there was a screw. Once I took it out the cover came off with no problem.

Seek and you will find.

Now to replace all the speakers

Any input on the OEM wire size and if its large enough for the rear speakers ???????

Comment

I just used standard 1½mm² speaker wire, fairly easy to run from the headunit (or amp in my case) to the rear

btw: imho you don't need those rear tweeters, just put in a decent 5" midwoofer in the rear

Comment

I am going out today to test some replacement stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X