Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

double din sat-nav head unit install (RS2)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double din sat-nav head unit install (RS2)

There may be a dozen reasons why this wouldn't work, apart from time and effort getting the detail spot on, but I want to install an in-dash sat-nav head untit and came up with something different:

Move the 3 guages from the bottom of the centre console to a carbon fibre pod on top of the dash. If I was really lucky I could source the same subtle blue weave fibre that Audi used. Something like this (only nicer):

Then move the climate control unit to the bottom of the dash (assuming this is simply an electronic control unit and not mechanically connected in any way??), with a CF surround.

This would then leave plenty of space for a double din nav unit such as the Pioneer Avic-D3BT, which could be put in another CF surrround to match the dash:

I'm under no illusion as to how much work getting the detail right would take, but being new to these cars have no idea whether there are any serious practical considerations that would make this is a no go.

Obviously far easier to just get an Avic single din unit with the motorised screen, but it's a messy solution with the screen covering the row of switches and the air vents.

Feel free to tell me it's a stupid idea.

corey has done this to his urs6
    using a standard audi sat nav
    it looks good
    but would n't it be easier just to get a single din flip screen one

good luck with what ever you choose
    1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
    2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
    3. H & R SPRINGS
    4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
    5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
    6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
    7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
    8. fmic fitted

Comment

Originally posted by NickVyse View Post
      Feel free to tell me it's a stupid idea.
      I would say the worst part of your solution is where you want to put the gauges. A triple pod slapped on the dash will mean that not only will you ruin the dash and not be able to return the car to a more standard look if you ever wish to sell, but also it will remove all sleeper aspects of the car and place you in full Chav ricer territory (waits for the retaliatory strikes from other forum members with chav-like gauge pods)

Why not just put the gauges where the 3 air vents are? There are even ways of doing it and still having some airflow.

Also, I may be wrong, but I understand that blue weave CF is NLA from anywhere.

As for the rest, I say go for it and take loads of pictures for us.

Cheers n

Si
      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Link to something similar by Nero of www.S2power.com.

>>>> LINKY

Jas..
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Thanks all, and in answer to all points raised.

Topsparky - as I said, it would be far easier to fit a single din motorised screen option, and may well be the way I go considering all the other projects I've got in life.

Hpmuirt - yeah, the guages on the dash might be a bit tacky to some, and as you say would involve feckin up the original dash should any future owner not like the set-up. Perhaps a less ricey option would be to cover the pod in leather.

I've seen the solution for the guages in the air-vent, I guess I was trying to have my cake an eat it; keep fully functioning vents, plus everything else.

Jas - thanks for the link, very neat, but no vents! I live in the South France = hot.

More to ponder...

Cheers, Nick

Comment

This could be a simpler and cleaner option - does anyone know the depth of the cimlate control unit and whether it could be mounted face-up where the ash tray is, perhaps at a slight angle to give an extra mm or two? Nobody's allowed to smoke any more, and no one has ever smoked in this RS2 - so I'm not about to start.

Also, I come from a classic BMW background (my weekend car:http://www.m2bmw.com). There's an online version of all the BMW factory diagrams and part numbers:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

I recently saw a similar diagram on here showing the different door card available for the S2. Is there a similar online resource for these cars?

Cheers, Nick

Comment

I'm doing something similar and the vents have had to go, I've seen on ebay another solution but that was with electronic climate control being moved to under the dash.

The aircon with knobs would be a right pig to shift.

Comment

Originally posted by NickVyse View Post
                I recently saw a similar diagram on here showing the different door card available for the S2. Is there a similar online resource for these cars?

Cheers, Nick
                http://www.vagcat.com/

Jas..
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Thanks Jas.

Comment

I think this is the best solution ... looks great and original.

navi.jpg
                    Audi RS4+Long sportquattro
                    www.hansenmotorsport.no

Comment

^^Is that from audi or is it aftermarket? Also, looks to be for a rhd car, or does it move sideways?

Comment

Looks like a navi plus from the newer models & the screen can be rotated....

Does look great though, only where did the 3 gauges go?
                        No power, no glory!
                        S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

^^true, I guess gauges could be put on the a pillar. Any one have any info on how to put this into a b3 car? Ive seen a few how to's on putting it into b5 cars and such, how would it work for those of us with aftermarket cd changers? Would it fit this way, http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/installb5.html

Comment

that looks like it left the factory that way doesn't it, awesome. Shame you can feed the inputs from the traditional guages along the bottom into the trip computer - sure some tech head could work that one out, then you wouldn't need the 3 along the bottom but could toggle through them when you wanted.
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                            X