Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp connections

my friend installed a alpine amp and sub to boot his car month so back

he is using the oem head which didnt have and rca outputs and has patched a female rca cable onto one the rear speaker cables, is this ok or will do damage tot he amp, it seems be flashing a protection led to indicator rca ground float, anyone know about this as he asked me if i knew but said no, but i though i may well look into it abit by asking on here

It will blow the speaker channels in the stereo, you need a headunit with rca`s

Comment

Only amps afaik that you can do this with is the one's that offer input via normal speaker connections.

Comment

Disconnect it right away. The voltages are way too high in that line unless your amp accepts "speaker level" inputs... (It doesn't sound like it)

A HU with RCA outputs will not be very expensive. Get one and then to it properly.

Cheers,

Steve
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

In the meantime you could build yourself a little potential divider resistor circuit to bring the voltage down to a suitable level, or if you dont want to do that or get a new head unit get something along these lines http://www.icebuyer.co.uk/speaker-to...r-p-12019.html
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

oh right well i dont think has speaker level input

as for a potential divider sounds like fair idea
            if i was to either tell him get two resistors or made it for him, id need know the speaker line level (14.4 max i guess) but more importantly the rca max voltage for full range.
            using 1/4w resistors the resistance across the whole divider cant be any less than 800ohm which i guess will stare the speaker off less than 1/200 of its power

oh im wondering what damage may already be done, ah well at least aint my gear

Comment

Originally posted by goodall View Post
              oh im wondering what damage may already be done, ah well at least aint my gear
              Hopefully none because the amp is clever enough to go into protection mode!
              S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

You used to be able to buy something called a line level convertor, speaker wires in - clever little box - rca's out. Wouldn't be suprised if Maplins don't still do something like this.
                94 S2 Avant, Crystal Silver, slightly modded
                89 Vw Golf mk2
                12 Mercedes e250cdi, silver, daily commuter

Comment

What? Bleeding cowboy!

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3794.html

That's what he needs

Comment

That's the sort of thing I was talking about, they've changed a bit since my day, though
                    Last edited by FITZY; 6 March 2009, 17:31. Reason: spelling.
                    94 S2 Avant, Crystal Silver, slightly modded
                    89 Vw Golf mk2
                    12 Mercedes e250cdi, silver, daily commuter

Comment

Working...
                    X